United States General Services Administration

www.gsa.gov

Coffeeandapplejuicemom

There are a significant number of women in leadership roles at this agency and plenty of promotion potential- the agency tends to be a bit top heavy in my opinion. From my personal experience I did feel appreciated by my employer and for those that work hard, they do invest in you and give you opportunities to reach your greatest potential.

within the past 7 years GSA has expanded it’s telework program to 4 days a week which has been a huge motivator in getting people to stay at the agency long term. Since the regional headquarters are often located in the central business district the telework policy makes it possible for working moms to move out to the suburbs where housing is not as costly, daycare is not as costly, the school districts are far superior, and crime rates are lower.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Distribute the workload responsibilities more fairly. The salary, while competitive, doesn’t seem fair when not everyone in the agency carriers equal weight. There are some individuals who have “cushy jobs” - very little responsibilities within this agency verses others who are held to a much higher standard, who have the responsibility of spending millions of tax dollars, who are interfacing with clients and high level officials and are given little support to do their jobs. Too many “behind the scenes” jobs and not enough individuals who do the real mission work of the agency. It’s not that there’s a staffing problem, it’s that management isn’t utilizing their workforce efficiently and even years and years of multiple hiring freezes and workforce reduction through attrition hasn’t changed this. Those that excel at their jobs are rewarded with more work and experience burnout.

Maybe. Great work-life balance in the sense that GSA offers flexible work arrangements (some telework, generous annual leave, flextime, compressed work schedule so you can have every other Friday off and Federal Holidays off). However, the Feds don’t offer any kind of maternity leave benefits unless you count 4 months of unpaid leave or are fortunate enough to be able to hoard your rollover sick leave for many many years until you can finally accumulate up to 6 weeks. Or you can use your vacation time. Also, depending on what role you have at the agency, your job may be extremely stressful to the point where you find yourself secretly working unpaid overtime just to keep up with the unreasonable expectations. Depending on your job title/responsibilities you may be required to travel- frequency varies. There are a lot of women in leadership roles at this agency and plenty of promotion potential- the agency tends to be a bit to heavy in my opinion. From my personal experience I did feel appreciated by my employer and for those that work hard, they do invest in you and give you opportunities to reach your greatest potential.