Employee reviews at University of Iowa

University of Iowa

default img
Tell us more for better jobs, advice
and connections
your interests
Your feed isn’t personalized yet. Follow topics like career advice, lifestyle or health.
companies you follow
Get alerted when there are new employee reviews.
YOUR JOB ALERTS
Get notified when new jobs are posted.
"Be careful. They have great health care for your family, but no maternity leave. If you just have 1 kid or space them out, the sick leave and time off are enough. But for women that just started or want multiple kids, there is not enough time to build up sick leave to cover a decent maternity leave. The benefits are super pricey when you have to take unpaid time off for maternity leave and have to cover benefits from out of pocket. Also, it is a state school. so they have incredible lawyers and know they can win in most court cases. So if you complain about harassment or discrimination, you have to be prepared for the fall-out. "
One thing University of Iowa can improve?
"They have a 'flextime' policy that is completely inflexible. Unofficially they will tell you that they care about your family and you, but if something happens, you are at risk of being fired for 'past tardiness' or 'inconsistent work hours'. I never would have thought they would do that, but my boss was going through a family health issue and a personal issue and was fired. "
6 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"I took 6 weeks of sick leave/Vacation time- they don't actually have maternity leave or short term disability. I had 3 kids while at the UI. for the last one I took catastrophic leave and that was a paperwork and HR nightmare. I wish I would have just taken unpaid- I didn't have enough time to have 6 weeks and I had C Sections. "
"Maybe"

Want to

"To get in and do the work, come to the table prepared and share your concerns. Everybody wants to hear the issues and make changes to improve success, but you have to be open to change. "
Registrar, Academics
"Not all areas are flexible because there are people who abuse it. However, I am lucky and I am able to work from home when needed or when traveling to see family. "
Policies, Culture, Hours
12 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"I only took 6 weeks. You have to save your sick and vacation. "

Want to

"UI has flexible work hours, but their maternity leave policy is the bare minimum allowed by law and little to no opportunity to work from home."
One thing University of Iowa can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
Culture, Hours
0 Weeks Paid | 12 Weeks Unpaid
"Had to use all of my vacation and sick leave, then worry about losing benefits during the period in which I was unpaid."
"Maybe"