Associate Professor

In order to create and maintain work-life balance here, you will need to make it look like you are giving your all while carefully and quietly ensuring that you don't give your soul and your health as well.

Depending on your department, and as long as your needs to not reach the attention of the upper administration, you might be able to work something out.

Though I did not, I was surprised to learn from a colleague that she was forced to take a 10% cut in pay when she had her baby, even though she was taking calls from students while in the hospital and was even grading papers just hours after the birth. The director of human resources told her that the paycut was required due to the fact that they believed she could not possibly work at 100%.

Maybe. There are very good people working here, and that camaraderie is worth a lot. I think you just need to be aware and very careful. The women who find it easiest to move upward here are those who either do not rock the boat or who have a husband in a respected position.