University of St. Thomas — Minnesota

www.stthomas.edu/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at University of St. Thomas — Minnesota to join us.

Yankee Candle Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The same thing I shared in my previous statement. I think that speaks volumes.

What I did not know prior to working for Yankee Candle, which was not mentioned to me until my second week of employment is that they have a no room for discussion, 1 minute late policy. If you are more than one minute late three times you will lose your job. 1 MINUTE PEOPLE!!!! I worked at a location where I was about 20 years older than the rest of the staff who were all from the local College. The problem with this is you have 20 yr olds trying to manage an older mature person and it seems they aren't mentally capable of doing so no matter how grown they may seem. As a parent of 3 twenty-something year olds I feel my children are very mature, yet not one of them is mature enough to be a manager of an entire Yankee store. The other thing that angered me beyond belief is they hired people knowing they didn't have a car and relied on public transportation. Then when something goes wrong and the MTA train doesn't get there within that one minute late policy, they fire the people knowing full well they rely on public transportation whose timing is certainly beyond their control. My first week being employed there a 21 year old single mother was fired after she sprinted from the light rail running at full pace toward the store and the manager didn't like her and was watching from the window praying she would be late so she could fire her. She actually relished the idea which in my opinion is sickening. As a person who was a single mother for 15 years of my life I quit that day and will not reapply. This is a very sad situation as I love the company itself and all of their products. What's worse is the district manager is only about 4 years older than the store manager and they sat there and laughed about this girl getting fired. They planned this out the day prior knowing if she was late they were firing her. I heard their entire conversation. So the next day, after she got a babysitter, took the time to get ready & come in to work, they let her go right there on the spot. I've never seen such a thing in my life.

Management seems to want the younger, college aged employees front & center. Older people have put applications in just to have them stuck on the bottom of the pile. Also, anyone who isn't "in the clique w/ Mgmt." is quickly disregarded, their concerns go unheard & are definitely unheeded.

VSP Globa Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The values are good, they support work life balance, lacks women in leadership

Houlihan Lokey Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

A self proclaimed "old boys club". They protect this culture and will go to great lengths to defend it.

T.A. Cummings / Assured Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

No maternity leave, so you have to negotiate it when you need it. So some women get better leave than others. Some women will have to work from home with their newborn, just to get time off.

They will not even amend a policy to be in compliance with laws/regulations, such as the ADA, unless you are young and attractive.

City of Lincoln & Lancaster County Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Interview your prospective boss to see if their are on-going personnel issues you are moving into.

Pretty typical government inflexibility.

Management needs to be more proactive so employees who have been around a long time do not become the "Tail" that wags the dog.

Lifespan Brands LLC Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I think Lifespan Brands is set in its "old school ways" The CEO was pretty unschooled in workplace manners and his jokes often bordered on offensive/harassment.

Not for Hiring

This employer did not offer work at home option- and my job was one where you could work at home.

FirstBank Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

November 2016

This company has a reduced hours program for mothers. But if you use it, you will be viewed negatively and as not committed.

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

UL LLC Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
4.5

The 'quality of life' really depends on the division/management you have. I think women on the engineering side may face some additional hurdles from some colleagues, vs. women in marketing or HR. BUT - there are some wonderful managers and women leaders here, and there are many of us working to change the status quo.

Institute of International Education Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It's a non profit and the majority of employees are women. I've never been pregnant but I have many colleagues who are and the maternity leave benefits are exceptional. I would reccomend this to married women who don't need to make a high salary and want to have a child.

Guy Carpenter & Co Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've worked here for 7 years and there are a lot of women working here, but predominantly in support roles. Generally I believe they are treated fairly but management is male-dominated and not diverse, which makes it tougher for women to "network" with them. Mid-level women don't seem to advance because of these subtle issues. I have increased responsibilities and workload without any pay increase. Three men in my department have received multiple promotions since I began my employment. I don't know my pay grade or my salary range. I have asked for it but never received. When I inquire about to HR they contact my boss and not me. My boss asked me why I went to HR that everything should be handled locally. So now I'm afraid to ask anyone about my pay. I just stay silent and hope to just keep my job. I get compliments all the time about my work but can't get higher than a 3 no matter how well I perform. And my boss doesn't like to do reviews so I haven't had one in 2 years. My last increase was 1.5 percent. I don't know how that compares to my peers. Seems low to me.