"As a lower level employee, things aren't so bad as a woman because you don't have to deal with upper management. "
"not sure"
Would you recommend ZACH Theatre to other women?
"I believe more women in the company would better the environment but there is a lot of work to be done."
"If you’re a female, just give the men all your ideas. They will take credit for it anyway and no one will respect you. "
"no"
One thing ZACH Theatre can improve?
"Fire the director level managers that allow toxic behavior "
Production,
Would you recommend ZACH Theatre to other women?
"Love this place, Love our purpose in the community, Love a majority of my colleagues. But the male head of production and the younger shop guys in his direct report make for a toxic environment. There is zero accountability for the men in terms of workplace behavior or professional attitude, however women in management positions are repeatedly told to be nicer in order to keep their jobs. Female driven departments have inherently lower starting salaries and salary caps then departments with more men in them, making the opportunity for growth stifling. The proper channels for reporting uncomfortable situations are not necessarily helpful - employees reporting misconduct by their direct manager have been told by higher ups to confront that manager directly with concerns in a one on one setting, a deeply uncomfortable alternative to healthy conflict resolution and one that ultimately leads to a he said-she said situation. I love Zach and really do want to see improvements. Baby steps are being taken, but it’s at an excruciatingly slow pace that ultimately doesn’t appear to be addressing the root of the problem. We need more. "
One thing ZACH Theatre can improve?
"Most of the inflexibility is relegated to Production departments. Admin is rarely stuck with the difficulties of taking time off and the inability to telecommute/adjust hours/etc. WHile I understand that a large part of the inflexibility comes from the nature of needing our presence backstage at specific show times, having a sub on standby or a plan in place for unexpected absences would be huge. As it is now, we can’t even get sick as there’s no one to cover us. "
"Maternity leave is currently not offered as a stand alone benefit. It is looped into your accumulated sick hours. While I appreciate that there is at least some option available, I find it troubling that I’m forced to refrain from taking sick time currently in case I decide to get pregnant in the future and need it. "
Would you recommend ZACH Theatre to other women?
"I do love working here, and the more women who are hired the better it gets. But I would warn them that we’re in the middle of an uphill battle. "
"Stay strong, know your worth, you are valued by colleagues."
One thing ZACH Theatre can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Production Staff, Operations
"I can't speak for the administration department, but the Production department tends to be incredibly flexible with daytime hours for those who need to shift projects around to accommodate other areas of production."
"Zach Theatre has a great maternity/paternity leave program that a couple of my friends have used in the past. Very family friendly."
Would you recommend ZACH Theatre to other women?
"Working at Zach is an uphill battle for women, but the more women who work there, the better it gets. I'm not trying to discourage women from applying to work at Zach Theatre, but know that the current culture is not in our favor and we are trying to change that."