American & Efird

www.amefird.com
4.5

textiles123

To be open and not intimidated to ask time off

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Corporate Counsel

Legal

The old textile mentality has been slow to dissipate here. Maternity leave sucks and the company is big on face time. If you work from home, it is more or less presumed that you aren't working. You get an eye roll if you have to stay home with a sick baby. My boss actually emailed me one time when I was home with my sick 9 month old to ask me what time I would be available for a conference call. I had to remind him that sick babies don't keep very predictable schedules. That said, management is old and things are changing. There are a lot of women in their thirties in management positions. Some are young mothers and some will be mothers soon. I feel confident that in the next 5 years things will be pretty different especially if we keep pushing to make them different. I personally have the ear of the CFO and CEO and am well-respected. I plan to push for some policy changes. That said, things do move slowly here and it is going to be a long road.

We had to use short term disability insurance. If I had not of had a C section, I would have only had 6 weeks paid.

Maybe. Circumstances are improving and there are many women in management positions and the pay is very good, but deference is still given to old, white men. That said, they are old and will be gone soon.