Communications Manager

Marketing

It's a great place to work, whether you're starting your career or are in mid-career. They just improved their paternity leave policy this year and it seems that every year they make improvements, based on what employees want. Yes, they actually listen to employees! For example, I had mentioned in various surveys that I wished Schwab would contribute more to our HSAs and they listened.

This is honestly the best place where I've been employed, and I've been in the workforce for over 25 years! I've worked at Charles Schwab for 3 years and I only have wonderful things to say about this employer. I hope to retire from Schwab in 20 years! I wish I was working at Schwab when I had my kids, because they definitely have very good parental leave policies and one of the few companies that offers both vacation and sick leave.

They seem to improve the maternity/paternity leave policy every year. Although it doesn't apply to me any more, I know lots of people take advantage of it. There are also special "mommy" rooms on every floor for breastfeeding moms. And no, you don't have to pump in a bathroom stall!

Marketing

Do your research before committing to join this company. Know that the expectations they tell you at your interview may not be what you find once you are part of the organization.

It depends on your manager / department, but by supervisor often calls me outside of business hours and expects me to answer. They offer a 28-day sabbatical every five years but you have to cover for everyone else on your team while they are taking their sabbatical, so you are often working long hours.

Maybe. There are many women in management, but there is minimal diversity. Almost no African American women in management positions within my division. Work-life balance is almost non-existent. We had a record year in 2017, yet budgets are flat and we continue to be understaffed.

Customer Service

Better environment than many for women, but still room for improvement.

Account Specialist

Operations

Schwab tries its best to promote equality, but fails with its "troops on the ground". Management tends to forget about the opportunites for all and instead focuses on the promotion for one. Its very backwards. Hard work is not rewarded daily, but instead, done for everyone.

it's a great place to work, this is the best leadership time I've ever worked for

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Your boss matters here. The form has a great culture but your growth is highly dependent on a supportive supervisor

A sexist boss makes it difficult for flex time

Client Relationship Specialist

Strategy & Business Development

Schwab is comprised of "nice" people - everyone is respectful, considerate, and overall, there's still that small-town, California laid-back feel. In fact, it's even quite cultish in a way; so many employees - men and women alike - LOVE Schwab and are proud to work for the organization. However, a part of this is also due to the fact that they really don't know any better. Honestly, the benefits at Schwab are just ok. The benefits pale in comparison to what bigger American banks are offering, and certainly what the Swiss, German, and French banks are offering. Schwab really needs to step up its game in terms of medical, leave, work/life, and fringe benefits.

Again, it depends on your role. If you are at Schwab corporate, there's more flexibility. The branches are all about face-time, so there's only so much flexibility, much of which is dependent on branch hours.

I'm thinking of starting a family in the near future and Schwab's 6-weeks paid maternity leave is a blip on the calendar. It takes well over 6-weeks to just physically heal after giving birth! Given that many companies require employees to be there for at least 1-year, I will have to leave Schwab to start the clock at another organization that has a better maternity leave policy.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Maybe. It really depends on the role within the company, and where you are in your life. For instance, if you are thinking of starting a family, Schwab's 6-weeks paid maternity leave policy is pretty lame compared to comparable companies offering 4-MONTHS paid maternity leave. Although the culture is to respect normal working hours versus vacation time, Schwab also doesn't support a work-from-home balance; you're either in the office or on the road.

It is a workplace with a friendly culture, and great benefits. For an upwardly mobile woman, you will need to be political, as you would in any place, to be seen and heard often by senior leadership. It is a hierarchical organization, so you would want to play by these rules if you want to play the game. If you don't want to play the game, it is a comfortable place to work, with nice people to work for and with.

Flexible with limits. If someone works from home too often, people will start to notice. There is also a requirement to log all the hours where you are working remotely.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

I was laid off. But, if I had the chance, to choose to leave, I would have stayed if my opportunities were more challenging. My team endured much organizational changes, and I ended up in a role where tasks were repetitive and uninspiring.

Maybe. Finance industry is a traditional old-boys club, but it recognizes it needs to change. However, during this transition from the boys club to becoming more diverse, which also includes hiring and promoting more women in senior leadership, Schwab is open to the idea and wants to do the right thing. It may be harder for women to gain higher rankings in the company, but with the right persistence, it can happen. Or, at least, one can learn from the experience.

Talent Sourcing Advisor

Human Resources

They genuinely care about equality and have an inclusive culture.

Client Specialist

Finance

Schwab is a great company to work for. However you definitely need to push to get ahead. Thx