Don't be afraid to negotiate a higher salary from the beginning. Learn the leadership qualities the company is looking for and make time every day to improve them in yourself. Nobody looks out for your career but you! You can mimic male leadership but you must be genuine in your own style and relationships. Strive for excellence in one or two areas of your position that click with you, become the expert. For instance, I became excellent at marketing automation programs. These programs are now being used at almost every large company.

Business Development/Capture Manager

U.S. Public Sector

The transition can be difficult because it is a very fast paced company. Depends on your previous environment. Prepare to work extra hours and make sure you eliminate other responsibilities, such as housework, to the extent possible. One great aspects is there is such an open communication in Cisco. I always knew I could call a VP as easily as I could call a college intern, and have a meaningful conversation on the topic I was pursuing.

Maybe. Incredibly flexible work hours. I primarily work from home. I schedule ahead and never miss an event for one of my children.