IT Project Manager

IT

In my area of Cisco IT there are a lot of women. We are still the minority, and I wish there were more of us. The good news is, in my experience, we are treated equally with the men in terms of respect, daily interactions, job roles, and leadership opportunities. I don't know much about people's pay, but of what little I have heard, the women are paid similarly to the men. Cisco's good at giving back to the community. I have participated in Cisco sponsored activities and groups designed to encourage more girls to study STEM in school and join IT. I would like to point out that there are also lots of IT jobs available to women who do NOT have STEM degrees. Not all of us are engineers. I did not study STEM, and I am a project manager. You should apply anyway, even if you don't have a STEM degree. Don't be intimidated by the term IT, there are many other roles in this area that don't require engineering. There is a place for you somewhere in Cisco.

I am in IT at Cisco and in general, it is very flexible. Some roles are less flexible depending on the work (access to data centers, etc.) or the manager (some still hold "be here to work" values). However, the large majority of IT roles are very flexible, especially if there are circumstances that would be best served by remote work. For example: school schedules, appointments, medical conditions, off-hours meetings, bad traffic, inclement weather, travel, etc. It's a little more strict on contractors than Cisco employees, but still great compared to many other companies.

I didn't take maternity leave here, but of my coworkers who did, both mothers and fathers are encouraged to take the offered leave and sometimes take more unpaid leave too. I have not seen anyone be negatively treated or let go by asking to take any kind of requested leave (family, medical, personal). I have also seen new employees be hired while pregnant and go on maternity leave shortly after, and still be retained long term when they come back.

Social Media Manager

Human Resources

I have never felt more empowered, encouraged, and embraced for who I am and my focus in life. A lot of companies have previously tried to stifle who I am and what I want in life. Those companies wanted me to conform to what their idea of the "perfect employee" was -- that's not Cisco's style. Your talent makes you the perfect employee, everything else is what makes you a unique individual -- which is extremely valued in a company that excels at creating, collaborating, and changing the world.

Family and your health comes first at Cisco. From your fur family to extended family, my leadership has been supportive, accommodating, and concerned from emergency vet visits to human surgeries and illness. If your family needs you, it's not a question -- take care of you and them FIRST, work second.

I haven't needed it. I may never need it. But I think what Cisco offers is an incredible step in the right direction for parents.

Software Engineer

Engineering

I have always felt welcome and appreciated by all other cisco employees and never once has my gender been a topic of conversation nor has it been in any subtext in any way. They care about you as a person and are all great people.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

You can be assured that you will feel valued and heard here

Engineering

Equality and opportunity for both women and men are at the heart of the company. Very respectable company culture and excellent work-life balance.

Human Resources

Cisco is committed to creating an open, friendly, collaborative, and safe environment for all people to work. This is outlined in their people deal, their code of business conduct, and permeates the culture as a result.

I work in HR so that is where my perspective is coming from. However, in my experience, Cisco allows for people to be the boss of their own schedule, and is always accommodating when it comes to issues such as family.

Project Specialist

IT

I think this is a great place to work, and especially with all of our new leadership changes, you can see more diversity and inclusion in gender and race.

I don't think any company can beat Cisco's flexibility.

Product Manager

Marketing

Great place for a good work life blend/balance, lot of opportunities for training and gaining skills.

Software Engineer

Engineering

I've been lucky to meet and network with many different people and I've learned a lot from my interactions with them. That, combined with my day job as an engineer, I've really learned a lot technically, professionally, and personally.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

There should be a better way for new grads who are hired via university recruiting to end up on teams/projects/products that more align with what they are passionate about/what skills they would like to develop

I am a young professional and I have no desire to ever leave Cisco. Why is that? I am only 24 but I am already thinking about being a mom someday and how hard it would be to balance a job and children. I couldn't imagine a company being better at work life integration and I am confident I would be able to make it work if I stayed at Cisco.

I never want to leave Cisco because I am not sure I would ever find a more flexible employer. The ability to work from home and on your own hours and the trust of the company that you will actually do your work is incredible and rare.