Cisco

Headquarters:San Jose, CA(United States)10,000+ Employees

"Cisco has a culture of being there for each other and empowering us to play to our strengths. At Cisco, I can be myself, and the company provides so much flexibility in my work hours-which is so important as a single mom."
Would you recommend Cisco to other women?
"Cisco encourages me to be the best version of myself, and focuses on me as an individual - I get to be an involved mother and wife, while still growing and rocking my career. "
Sales Recruiter, Human Resources
Would you recommend Cisco to other women?
"Actions match words here. We don't just talk about diversity and policies, we take action on making things fair and equal. "
Director, Marketing
"I've been working anywhere, anytime for a while now. There is a lot of flexibility whenever needed. As long as you get your job done, and done well, there's a lot of trust."
"We recently changed our policy. It now gives the primary care giver (man, woman, grandparent) more leave time, offers more time to the secondary caregiver, and time off for appointments (including for adoption and surrogacy). It's incredibly generous and inclusive. "
Would you recommend Cisco to other women?
"In my area of Cisco IT there are a lot of women. We are still the minority, and I wish there were more of us. The good news is, in my experience, we are treated equally with the men in terms of respect, daily interactions, job roles, and leadership opportunities. I don't know much about people's pay, but of what little I have heard, the women are paid similarly to the men. Cisco's good at giving back to the community. I have participated in Cisco sponsored activities and groups designed to encourage more girls to study STEM in school and join IT. I would like to point out that there are also lots of IT jobs available to women who do NOT have STEM degrees. Not all of us are engineers. I did not study STEM, and I am a project manager. You should apply anyway, even if you don't have a STEM degree. Don't be intimidated by the term IT, there are many other roles in this area that don't require engineering. There is a place for you somewhere in Cisco."
IT Project Manager, IT
"I am in IT at Cisco and in general, it is very flexible. Some roles are less flexible depending on the work (access to data centers, etc.) or the manager (some still hold "be here to work" values). However, the large majority of IT roles are very flexible, especially if there are circumstances that would be best served by remote work. For example: school schedules, appointments, medical conditions, off-hours meetings, bad traffic, inclement weather, travel, etc. It's a little more strict on contractors than Cisco employees, but still great compared to many other companies."
"I didn't take maternity leave here, but of my coworkers who did, both mothers and fathers are encouraged to take the offered leave and sometimes take more unpaid leave too. I have not seen anyone be negatively treated or let go by asking to take any kind of requested leave (family, medical, personal). I have also seen new employees be hired while pregnant and go on maternity leave shortly after, and still be retained long term when they come back."
Would you recommend Cisco to other women?
"I have never felt more empowered, encouraged, and embraced for who I am and my focus in life. A lot of companies have previously tried to stifle who I am and what I want in life. Those companies wanted me to conform to what their idea of the "perfect employee" was -- that's not Cisco's style. Your talent makes you the perfect employee, everything else is what makes you a unique individual -- which is extremely valued in a company that excels at creating, collaborating, and changing the world."
Social Media Manager, Human Resources
"Family and your health comes first at Cisco. From your fur family to extended family, my leadership has been supportive, accommodating, and concerned from emergency vet visits to human surgeries and illness. If your family needs you, it's not a question -- take care of you and them FIRST, work second."
"I haven't needed it. I may never need it. But I think what Cisco offers is an incredible step in the right direction for parents."
Would you recommend Cisco to other women?
"I have always felt welcome and appreciated by all other cisco employees and never once has my gender been a topic of conversation nor has it been in any subtext in any way. They care about you as a person and are all great people."
Software Engineer, Engineering