"You have to be your own advocate. I am very vocal when I see an issue or want to change a process. I have found my managers are willing to listen and accomodate requests. But I have to initiate discussions for change of my role or project responsibiliites."
One thing HDR can improve?
, Engineering
"Flexibility is office specific. Being in a large metro my department has to be flexible to accommodate commute times and child care requirements for all employees."
Would you recommend HDR to other women?
"Avoid the central US regions. Coastal, northern and southern seem to be better."
One thing HDR can improve?
"I would need to be moved to a different region away from my current supervisor and recieve better compensation. Action must follow the words."
Section Manager,
"Again it really depends on which office you are located in. Management let’s individual regions set their own policies which means some regions are great and some are not."
Would you recommend HDR to other women?
"The treatment varies by region and supervisor."
"Women are generally treated equal here but there are large pockets of the old boys club. Very few women in top leadership roles. Noticeable differences in pay between men and women in my field with same level of education and experience. No paternity leave. Maternity leave is taking first 2 weeks unpaid and/or use up PTO then short term disability kicks in. For a vaginal delivery it provides 2/3 pay for 4 weeks (6 weeks for c-section). Then you can take an additional 6 weeks unpaid for 12 weeks off total. While on unpaid you'll have to pay company back to cover benefits (insurance, 401k contributions, etc)."
Would you recommend HDR to other women?
"Plenty of women in middle management, but not upper management. This is an employee-owned company, which means any spending on benefits comes out of the company's stock price. HDR seems slow to change but not outright unfair to women."
Environmental Scientist, Biological Resources