Employee reviews at Kirkland & Ellis LLP

Kirkland & Ellis LLP

3.4

default img
Tell us more for better jobs, advice
and connections
your interests
Your feed isn’t personalized yet. Follow topics like career advice, lifestyle or health.
companies you follow
Get alerted when there are new employee reviews.
YOUR JOB ALERTS
Get notified when new jobs are posted.
"I've worked here for 3 years and there are a lot of female associates but almost no female corporate partners. The Company says that it is a meritocracy, which I agree with and believe is the right way to reward people, but the industry and business model do not allow for women to "do both" - be successful at home and successful on the job. Senior partners have stuck their head in the sand on this matter. Women who take maternity leave are essentially expected to quit after they come back. There is no real possibility to come back part time from what I've heard. Ultimately, the billable hour plays such a critical role in a person's success (even at associate levels) that it almost entirely stands in the way of women making partner if they choose to try to be "successful" at home."
Associate, Corporate
"Maybe"

Want to

"You will work long hours with little to no prospect of promotion. You will be tone-policed by your supervisor if you advocate for yourself and your career. You will watch male supervisors comment on a female attorney's body in front of an entire room of staff. You will watch your male colleagues, with less education and less experience, get paid more than you and promoted faster, even though you're on the same case and doing the same work (and even though your supervisors remark on how much more competent an employee you are)."

Want to

"The firm does have good policies when it comes to flex time and maternity leave. That said, the advancement of female attorneys pales in comparison to their male counterparts, and the culture as a whole seems more inviting to men than women. However, I'm unsure to what extent this firm is worse than others in this regard."
Associate

Want to

"Long hours. Lots of resources. Hard-working people."
Associate

Want to

"I've been working here for several years, and I have had one child. I feel as if my track changed considerably after I came back from my maternity leave. It is almost as if I make the men uncomfortable, they see me as a "mom" now rather than the tough, focused, "on track" employee that I was (and still am). I worked long hours up until the day I gave birth, and returned to hit the ground running, but I am not sure that I will be able to change the perception. Every other woman that had a baby left my group for a reason. I would like to figure out how to change course, or I suppose I should start looking into other options. That said, I have been able to achieve balance here for now, which is important because I want to be in an involved mom."
Attorney
16 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"Maybe"

Want to

"Love it. No face time requirement (at least on my cases) and the company was supportive during my maternity leave and transition back even though I am still pretty junior."
16 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid