Kirkland & Ellis LLP

3.4

"K&E is a great place to work. I feel appreciated and valued. "
"not sure"
One thing Kirkland & Ellis LLP can improve?
"I selected other because improving the work-life balance, as well as maternity/medical benefits are both important. Also, compensation always plays a role. "
Practice Assistant, Administrative
"K&E is flexible but it depends on where you fall in the hierarchy. Obviously, associates and partners have more than support staff. But the ability to leave early, come in late, work through lunch, etc. is there. "
Would you recommend Kirkland & Ellis LLP to other women?
"Great place to work with smart, nice coworkers. Mostly everyone is willing to help each other when needed."
One thing Kirkland & Ellis LLP can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Practice Assistant, Legal
"There is a lot of flexibility for attorneys here and groups tend to support work-life balance. There is much less flexibility for staff but management will always help to work something out with you."
"Staff maternity leave in NYC is 8 weeks of STD at 100%, 2-4 weeks of a paid leave of absence depending on your experience at the company, then you're offered an additional 4-6 weeks of Paid Family Leave at 50%."
Would you recommend Kirkland & Ellis LLP to other women?
"While K & E is a great company to work for, I don't think it's the best for someone wanting to start a family. As an attorney, I've found there hasn't been much work/life balance."
"not sure"
One thing Kirkland & Ellis LLP can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Would you recommend Kirkland & Ellis LLP to other women?
"I worked here as a corporate associate for a few years. I think women are generally treated fairly and I don't think there is a disparity in responsibility, respect, etc. - particularly at the associate level. However, as mid-level women advance (both in their personal lives and careers), I think they are generally less successful at making the step to non-share or share partner (than men). The M&A group maintains an "up or out" structure, so you'll see VERY few female share partners (the odds aren't great for men, either, but numerically there are far more men than women at the top). The debt finance group, on the other hand, will let women stay on as non-share partners for a much longer period of time. I believe this is the case in other groups too, such as litigation and IP. However, I'm not sure if that's actually good or bad - it's great not to have to find another job 10 years in, but it takes you off the share partner track and relegates you to a lesser position with a glass ceiling. Maternity and leave policies are fantastic - definitely have kids here, if you can - and then leave for a place with better work/life balance! While it's hard to "have it all" anywhere, I'm sure every woman at K&E has heard stories of (or personally experienced) the challenges of the long hours and the toll it takes on families - full time nannies, backup nannies, daycare + backup nannies, missed sports events/dance recitals, etc. Some women seem to be fine with that and salaries are high enough to make it economically feasible, but I just don't think I could ever love a job enough to miss out on most of my child's life."
Associate, Corporate
Would you recommend Kirkland & Ellis LLP to other women?
"I think this is a great place to START your career - it looks great on your resume, and can open lots of doors for other positions. However, I don't think most women find it sustainable long-term."
"You will be treated like you're less competent and less talented than your male peers, and often will be treated as though you're a paralegal/secretary or more junior associate. There's an "old boys" club atmosphere that is hard to escape - the male partners tend to do lunch with and utilize/promote the male associates more, there are inappropriate jokes and comments made (especially by the male partners), and there was more than one unofficial event at a burlesque bar when I was there. Maternity leave and vacation/sick time is generous, but it seems frowned upon to use it. Most of the men have stay-at home wives (and many partners are on their second or third marriage), so there's generally a lack of understanding and compassion if you have a child-related issue. The men brag about missing the birth of their kids and the few women who stick around tend not to have families or contribute the the workaholic/anti-family culture by doing crazy things like traveling to trial 2 weeks before their due dates or sending briefs a day after giving birth."
Associate, Patent Litigation
Would you recommend Kirkland & Ellis LLP to other women?
"Very few women srick around/are willing to put up with the culture, but clients are demanding diversity so there is advancement potential. It's also a good training ground generally for being an attorney which can be leveraged into a good job somewhere else after a few years."
"I've worked here for 3 years and there are a lot of female associates but almost no female corporate partners. The Company says that it is a meritocracy, which I agree with and believe is the right way to reward people, but the industry and business model do not allow for women to "do both" - be successful at home and successful on the job. Senior partners have stuck their head in the sand on this matter. Women who take maternity leave are essentially expected to quit after they come back. There is no real possibility to come back part time from what I've heard. Ultimately, the billable hour plays such a critical role in a person's success (even at associate levels) that it almost entirely stands in the way of women making partner if they choose to try to be "successful" at home."
Would you recommend Kirkland & Ellis LLP to other women?
"Depends on the practice area."
1 - 5 of 12