• Top rated company current
  • Top rated company 2017
3.6

Anonymous Software Engineer

Software Engineer

You need to be very assertive to borderline aggressive to be noticed as someone who has impact, if aren't seen as having impact you won't progress and will eventually be managed out. If you're looking for a promotion, it is expected that you're working at the level of the promotion before you're considered a candidate.

The hours are flexible but the workload can be heavy so you're still squeezing in the 50 hours of work, but you can decide if you do it at 10am or midnight.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. You need to be very assertive to borderline aggressive to be noticed as someone who has impact, if aren't seen as having impact you won't progress and will eventually be managed out.

Msftveteran

Engineering

I agree with other women's reviews that you're manager impacts 95% of your experience and review. Although the amount of effort that I put into my job has remained the same over the last 10 years, my reviews have varied wildly depending on whether my manager liked me or not. The first five years I regularly got feedback that I was too abrasive, despite seeing men never get this feedback. I landed under a manager of that saw no value in my skills and that was like hell for two years. But other years I've had managers that really liked me and I've been a top former. Honestly it's a crapshoot. The maternity leave is very generous, that's probably the best thing. But each time I've come back from maternity leave I've had to switch teams because the new mom bias is terrible. I never talk about my family at work, I find that to be much easier to help avoid mom bias.

whisperwing

Great benefit and maternity leave. It is really family friendly.

Since last year it has become 20 weeks of 100% paid maternity leave and 12 weeks for dads

The group I'm in has lots of women in technical roles. It has been a leader in women-friendly and family friendly policies. Not all teams are like that, but good ones do exist.

MartiniCheese

Senior Program Manager

Engineering

There is lots of support for families at Microsoft. As with many large corporations, the support of women and promotion to leadership varies by group. Some managers and teams really get it and have made changes. Others have not. Yet. I believe Satya Nadella is working hard to make necessary changes.

Not for Promotion, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

• Family Friendly Aspects?

We need to promote more women into leadership, but we also need more unconscious bias training for male managers who lead mixed teams to make sure women in engineering and program management roles feel supported.

meebot

Competitive family leave policies in line with top tech companies

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. Depends on the team and manager

kitkat

Senior Program Manager

Engineering

Hours are moderatley friendly. I wish more people worked part time and/or left early.

Business Program Manager

The company can still be doing so much more for women... You won't encounter any blatant sexism but the culture is still very much all about 'the guys' at the top and being part of each department's boy's club.

The company added paternity leave rights and extended maternity leave last year, though only in the U.S.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. The company offers a lot of great experience opportunities but is still very much old-school corporate America when it comes to women (and diversity in general). It's trying to change its culture and has a few interesting initiatives for women, but in my opinion it's still far from being enough.

Divercity

Microsoft if a great company to work for in terms of work/life balance, and taking care of a family but you have to be careful and mindful of the busniess groups to advance professionally

Ostrich

Choose your manager very, very carefully. Research by searching out other women who work in that group and ask to sit down and have a private chat outside of theory office.

Recently expanded, very generous. However, depending on your role, taking that time can result in a noticeable penalty to upward mobility. Hourly pressures in Services make it particularly difficult to take this time away without a hit on your career

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. There is a big difference in experiences depending on whether you are highly technical. If you are doing technical work in services or coding in a Product Group, there are the usual challenges with getting recognition, bonuses, etc. On the other hand, excellent benefits, the company tries hard to address these problems. No worse, so far as I can tell, than other IT industry companies.