Divercity

Microsoft if a great company to work for in terms of work/life balance, and taking care of a family but you have to be careful and mindful of the busniess groups to advance professionally

Ostrich

Choose your manager very, very carefully. Research by searching out other women who work in that group and ask to sit down and have a private chat outside of theory office.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Recently expanded, very generous. However, depending on your role, taking that time can result in a noticeable penalty to upward mobility. Hourly pressures in Services make it particularly difficult to take this time away without a hit on your career

There is a big difference in experiences depending on whether you are highly technical. If you are doing technical work in services or coding in a Product Group, there are the usual challenges with getting recognition, bonuses, etc. On the other hand, excellent benefits, the company tries hard to address these problems. No worse, so far as I can tell, than other IT industry companies.

If you join, build up a network of supportive female professionals. Don't trust HR. Don't fill out polls or surveys. Just do your job unbelievably well, and you will slowly rise to a point When it is time to move on because you hit the glass ceiling, do that. Try moving around every two to three years to resist "tracking" and growing stale. It can be hard to move around, but with determination you can usually pull it off.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

That was a long time ago I took maternity leave. Today Microsoft has one of the best, considerably extended, maternity leaves in the industry. They also now encourage men to take paternal leave, which I've noticed is really changing the attitude among men towards the time away--they appreciate it and judge women less harshly for taking time away. I had great managers and no consequences for leaving for maternity leave, but I now hear varying stories from the women. My theory is this is mostly due to crushing metrics coming in over the past six years. Stepping away for this leave seems to inevitably lead to reviews (for both men and women) that complain about your "lack of impact" and the sudden rise of vague statements about how you are falling short, but in ways where you cannot figure out how to correct the perceived problem.

It depends. Microsoft has good benefits for women, and can be relatively family friendly, but only in narrow roles where women are traditionally in the majority, such as in HR, marketing, etc. If you are a young woman with technical qualifications and no family, it is a wonderful place to get started, with interesting and challenging projects. But when it comes to promoting engineers, older women with families have a hard time rising. Seeing this, 2-5 years down the road, the younger female engineers tend to walk out as a result, or move to much "softer" roles. Women are very poorly represented in the upper reaches of Product Groups and especially in certain areas of the Services (field facing, customer facing) branches. Metrics rule, except when it comes to measuring the more embarrassing aspects, such as the technical numbers and their spread in various groups. Those metrics are also often brutal towards women, ignoring the impact of often useless or nonsensical travel, celebrating high numbers of hours over great work, brushing past the limits of extending work into personal lives, and passing over the particular challenges that female engineers have in the IT Industry. D&I initiatives are driven by HR with very little understanding of these differences in women's experiences across the company, and ironically tend to lead to confirming instead of countering the worst views of women: weak, incompetent, just not ready to perform. At its best, Microsoft is a wonderful place for women to work--for a time. Male peers are usually good to great to work with, but management seems afraid of women and over-controls through HR, putting women in boxes they cannot get out of easily, and failing to be fully accountable for slow progress at the top tiers. At its worst, Microsoft is very, very tough, but probably no worse than anywhere else in the IT Industry.

I wouldn't say it's any front leader but offers decent options.

Anon2016

Great place to work. Flexibility and great culture. Women treated the same as men.

babycorn123

I would encourage young women to work here, because it is great when you are early career. I would recommend mid-career and later to go elsewhere.

Not for Promotion, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

ceyla

Software Engineer 2

Benefits are fantastic. The impact of the software we build is immense. I've been working hard and I've been getting promoted at a relatively fast rate too. It took me a long time to reach a point where I was unhappy with my job, and initially I didn't know why I was unhappy. After I admitted to myself that gender might be playing a role, I've been doing some soul-searching and I now feel that I deserve better. I am looking for something better. Some women seem to be on teams they love. I haven't heard many of those stories, though. Microsoft is doing a bunch of public talking around diversity. Microsoft is walking some of the talk, but overall there's too much talking and not enough walking.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Pay, promotions, performance evaluations, etc. seem to be fair. Benefits are great. If you ignore the company culture, everything is pretty awesome. The culture is hostile to women. Microsoft is trying to change. Some efforts are happening. But those efforts haven't trickled down to the bottom ranks yet. At a recent women's event with a Q&A section, a woman almost got a standing ovation after she asked when we'd finally be seeing some sort of effort to get most of the male ICs / low-level managers involved in diversity efforts. My manager has been very understanding and has been making changes. Two male ICs on my team are showing interest. But there's no momentum from the team at large. During a lunch conversation a couple weeks ago I was asked if I've figured out how to cook for my husband yet. HR is actively discouraging grassroots efforts around identifying sexism and educating male coworkers. Data and progress is only tracked at the highest 2 levels of the company. Fortunately HR isn't actively blocking or even participating in diversity-related conversations that occur in places with a large audience, e.g. our internal Yammer site. So places with large audiences are your best bet... Recently there was a rather embarrassing viral incident around sexy dancing girls dressed in school uniforms performing at a corporate-sponsored party at GDC. The internal investigation concluded that nobody had bad intentions, and the root cause was over-delegation / outsourcing with too little oversight. No company policies had been violated (What?!?) and from what I could tell there were no serious consequences for any employee involved in the incident.

At this point what angers me most is that HR is blocking grassroots efforts around improving diversity. When women raise very legitimate concerns we get lectured on all the stuff HR is doing. HR talks down to us. If I felt like HR actually cared about us and was genuinely listening to us I'd be significantly less frustrated.

Senior Software Development Engineer

It's hard watching your male co-workers get promoted while you're told that you're not doing enough.

TechSavvy

Beware of the hostile work environment and unequal opportunity for women. India dominated leadership and technical workforce has different cultural attitudes towards women than the USA culture. Bullying and exclusion is commonly used to force women out. HR and diversity program does nothing to improve reported issues. Check public discrimination lawsuit documents to understand widely known, unresolved issues.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Improve hostile work environment for women

Techgirl

Search public discrimination lawsuit documents to understand the environment for technical roles. Leaders and staff from India and Middle East countries have different cultural attitudes towards women.

Not for Promotion, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

Improve hostile work environment

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at Microsoft in the past year?

say gotten better

say gotten worse

say the same

Women Review Microsoft for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Microsoft by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 214 reviews Company Website Divercity Ostrich anon1536 Anon2016 babycorn123 ceyla anon1389 TechSavvy Techgirl