Anon2016

Great place to work. Flexibility and great culture. Women treated the same as men.

babycorn123

I would encourage young women to work here, because it is great when you are early career. I would recommend mid-career and later to go elsewhere.

Not for Promotion, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews
ceyla Software Engineer 2

Benefits are fantastic. The impact of the software we build is immense. I've been working hard and I've been getting promoted at a relatively fast rate too. It took me a long time to reach a point where I was unhappy with my job, and initially I didn't know why I was unhappy. After I admitted to myself that gender might be playing a role, I've been doing some soul-searching and I now feel that I deserve better. I am looking for something better. Some women seem to be on teams they love. I haven't heard many of those stories, though. Microsoft is doing a bunch of public talking around diversity. Microsoft is walking some of the talk, but overall there's too much talking and not enough walking.

Pay, promotions, performance evaluations, etc. seem to be fair. Benefits are great. If you ignore the company culture, everything is pretty awesome. The culture is hostile to women. Microsoft is trying to change. Some efforts are happening. But those efforts haven't trickled down to the bottom ranks yet. At a recent women's event with a Q&A section, a woman almost got a standing ovation after she asked when we'd finally be seeing some sort of effort to get most of the male ICs / low-level managers involved in diversity efforts. My manager has been very understanding and has been making changes. Two male ICs on my team are showing interest. But there's no momentum from the team at large. During a lunch conversation a couple weeks ago I was asked if I've figured out how to cook for my husband yet. HR is actively discouraging grassroots efforts around identifying sexism and educating male coworkers. Data and progress is only tracked at the highest 2 levels of the company. Fortunately HR isn't actively blocking or even participating in diversity-related conversations that occur in places with a large audience, e.g. our internal Yammer site. So places with large audiences are your best bet... Recently there was a rather embarrassing viral incident around sexy dancing girls dressed in school uniforms performing at a corporate-sponsored party at GDC. The internal investigation concluded that nobody had bad intentions, and the root cause was over-delegation / outsourcing with too little oversight. No company policies had been violated (What?!?) and from what I could tell there were no serious consequences for any employee involved in the incident.
At this point what angers me most is that HR is blocking grassroots efforts around improving diversity. When women raise very legitimate concerns we get lectured on all the stuff HR is doing. HR talks down to us. If I felt like HR actually cared about us and was genuinely listening to us I'd be significantly less frustrated.
anon1389 Senior Software Development Engineer

It's hard watching your male co-workers get promoted while you're told that you're not doing enough.

TechSavvy

Beware of the hostile work environment and unequal opportunity for women. India dominated leadership and technical workforce has different cultural attitudes towards women than the USA culture. Bullying and exclusion is commonly used to force women out. HR and diversity program does nothing to improve reported issues. Check public discrimination lawsuit documents to understand widely known, unresolved issues.

Improve hostile work environment for women
Techgirl

Search public discrimination lawsuit documents to understand the environment for technical roles. Leaders and staff from India and Middle East countries have different cultural attitudes towards women.

Not for Promotion, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews
Improve hostile work environment

Technical teams can be less female and family friendly.

Sapphire Program Manager

To ask other women on the team you're considering joining about they're experiences. The way women and minorities are treated varies drastically from group to group.

It varies drastically from team to team
Work on reducing unconscious bias from happening day to day
Lady Freedom

I've worked here for over a decade. Multiple groups, roles and divisions. Women are welcome to work here but don't expect to get promoted or have the same opportunities as men - to be fair a subset of men (white or Indian). The culture can be rough, bullying is common and behavior that is acceptable in the workplace is not that which you would want your child to repeat. There are good and smart people who work here, they just aren't those typically promoted. You will reach mid-level and realize you do not respect or like most of the people at your level and above. A woman cannot respond in the same abusive manner as a man and if she calls him out on it will be penalized. 1 in every 3 experiences tends to be good.

RadaRada Girl

Microsoft is not fair to woman.

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at Microsoft in the past year?

• 0%

say gotten better

• 0%

say gotten worse

• 100%

say the same

Women Review Microsoft for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Microsoft by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.6 stars, based on 210 reviews Company Website Anon2016 babycorn123 ceyla anon1389 TechSavvy Techgirl Sapphire Lady Freedom RadaRada Girl