Lady YourGoodFriend

Mature company with senior people, so benefits are great for people with families. Workload had its peaks and valleys, but very flexible culture, so great for juggling life and the demands of being a working parent. It still felt like a "boy's club" in many aspects, especially in my field, where it's predominantly women, but at the top, it was predominantly male. So, there's work to be done. Having said that, since the new CEO came onboard, Satya Nadella, and his participation in the Grace Hopper conferences, it became more friendly to women.

Anonymous - 6868 Engineering Manager

I've been with the company for more than 10 years in various positions across 4 divisions. In most of them I didn't feel like being a woman was a disadvantage. In fact, my skills at building teams and meeting deadlines put me on a fast promotion path. However, my current organization is an old boys club, where promotions, projects and bonuses are based on popularity contests, not on actual results.

Depends on the organization
Lady anon996 Program Manager, Cloud and Enterprise

I worked for 3 years before I was able to use the maternity leave at MSFT. I had an incredible support system where my manager was a woman and her manager was a woman as well (though childless at the time). They scraped the barrel to find as much time off necessary to give me a full 5-month paid leave plus suggested to come by the 6th month as part time. They paid for my pump through the Women's Leadership's Council funds and installed a lock in my office for privacy. Where else could you find such flexibility? Granted I had female managers but where else would you find 2 female managers to begin with? It was blissful.

Lady Gee uk

My experience is in the UK. I have been here 15 years and love the company culture. If you like working with smart, friendly and collaborative people. Having fun at work, being empowered to work when and where you want and to feel that your work has real impact then consider Microsoft. My 2 kids both went to the on campus nursery and now they are 11and 14 they sometimes accompany me into the office for a day. I know nowhere else like it. I have the freedom to set my own schedule and fit work around family. Work has supported and promoted me throughout my career.

Lady nightwitch

I've worked here more than 20 years. It has really changed over the years. I have faced subtle and not-so-subtle bias over the years that has affected my career and financial compensation. Age-discrimination is as bad, if not worse, than sex discrimination, which combined, is pretty bad for women over 40. You can expect to be "managed out" sometime in your forties whether you are a man or a woman. The recent change to the review system has turned the system into a subjective evaluation (popularity contest) rather than one based on facts around what was accomplished. I would recommend looking only at teams that clearly have a higher ratio of technical women than average (which can be found on the Microsoft website.)

It depends on the team and management of your particular group.
Lady Risk

It can be a boys club.

Lady Sun

I've been here almost 10 years. Some groups are fantastic about treating everyone commensurate to their skills. Others perpetuate the boy's club - not listening to women or even not inviting them to meetings that are important. If looking at this co, ensure you talk to everyone you can in the group...

It really really depends on the group, and the manager.
Lady Longtooth Sr. Director, Human Resources

There are lots of career opportunities for women and there is a growing openness to improve the experience for women. Networking is still very important for all employees to get recognition and opportunities. Managers are better equipped and skilled at managing across differences and not just from a gender perspective.

Lady nalgene

I have worked at Microsoft for 5 years and it is generally a decent place to work for women. It is more difficult if you are in engineering or have an engineering centric role as it is very male dominated and the men are generally hot heads, think they know it all. The company is decently good at work/life balance for men and women, but its very manager specific.

Lots of politics
Lady anon756 Program Manager

I've worked here for 7 years and have had both male and female management chains. All are great. There are some women in leadership that seem to have something to prove, but there are plenty of men like that too. I've worked at a number of different companies and Microsoft is the most fair and equal to women, and has the least amount of sexual harassment. Highly recommend it here.

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at Microsoft in the past year?

• 0%

say gotten better

• 0%

say gotten worse

• 100%

say the same

Women Review Microsoft for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Microsoft by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.6 stars, based on 210 reviews Company Website Lady YourGoodFriend Lady anon996 Lady Gee uk Lady nightwitch Lady Risk Lady Sun Lady Longtooth Lady nalgene Lady anon756