• Top rated company current
  • Top rated company 2016
  • Top rated company 2017
3.6

Lady Freedom

I've worked here for over a decade. Multiple groups, roles and divisions. Women are welcome to work here but don't expect to get promoted or have the same opportunities as men - to be fair a subset of men (white or Indian). The culture can be rough, bullying is common and behavior that is acceptable in the workplace is not that which you would want your child to repeat. There are good and smart people who work here, they just aren't those typically promoted. You will reach mid-level and realize you do not respect or like most of the people at your level and above. A woman cannot respond in the same abusive manner as a man and if she calls him out on it will be penalized. 1 in every 3 experiences tends to be good.

RadaRada Girl

Microsoft is not fair to woman.

Lady YourGoodFriend

Mature company with senior people, so benefits are great for people with families. Workload had its peaks and valleys, but very flexible culture, so great for juggling life and the demands of being a working parent. It still felt like a "boy's club" in many aspects, especially in my field, where it's predominantly women, but at the top, it was predominantly male. So, there's work to be done. Having said that, since the new CEO came onboard, Satya Nadella, and his participation in the Grace Hopper conferences, it became more friendly to women.

Engineering Manager

I've been with the company for more than 10 years in various positions across 4 divisions. In most of them I didn't feel like being a woman was a disadvantage. In fact, my skills at building teams and meeting deadlines put me on a fast promotion path. However, my current organization is an old boys club, where promotions, projects and bonuses are based on popularity contests, not on actual results.

Maybe. Depends on the organization

Program Manager

Cloud and Enterprise

I worked for 3 years before I was able to use the maternity leave at MSFT. I had an incredible support system where my manager was a woman and her manager was a woman as well (though childless at the time). They scraped the barrel to find as much time off necessary to give me a full 5-month paid leave plus suggested to come by the 6th month as part time. They paid for my pump through the Women's Leadership's Council funds and installed a lock in my office for privacy. Where else could you find such flexibility? Granted I had female managers but where else would you find 2 female managers to begin with? It was blissful.

Lady Gee uk

My experience is in the UK. I have been here 15 years and love the company culture. If you like working with smart, friendly and collaborative people. Having fun at work, being empowered to work when and where you want and to feel that your work has real impact then consider Microsoft. My 2 kids both went to the on campus nursery and now they are 11and 14 they sometimes accompany me into the office for a day. I know nowhere else like it. I have the freedom to set my own schedule and fit work around family. Work has supported and promoted me throughout my career.

Lady nightwitch

I've worked here more than 20 years. It has really changed over the years. I have faced subtle and not-so-subtle bias over the years that has affected my career and financial compensation. Age-discrimination is as bad, if not worse, than sex discrimination, which combined, is pretty bad for women over 40. You can expect to be "managed out" sometime in your forties whether you are a man or a woman. The recent change to the review system has turned the system into a subjective evaluation (popularity contest) rather than one based on facts around what was accomplished. I would recommend looking only at teams that clearly have a higher ratio of technical women than average (which can be found on the Microsoft website.)

Maybe. It depends on the team and management of your particular group.

Lady Risk

It can be a boys club.

Lady Sun

I've been here almost 10 years. Some groups are fantastic about treating everyone commensurate to their skills. Others perpetuate the boy's club - not listening to women or even not inviting them to meetings that are important. If looking at this co, ensure you talk to everyone you can in the group...

Maybe. It really really depends on the group, and the manager.

Lady Longtooth

Sr. Director

Human Resources

There are lots of career opportunities for women and there is a growing openness to improve the experience for women. Networking is still very important for all employees to get recognition and opportunities. Managers are better equipped and skilled at managing across differences and not just from a gender perspective.