"The level of job flexibility, family-friendliness, and just general work environment changes quite a bit from department to department, especially between academic and support/administrative staff. Keep that in mind!"
"not sure"
One thing MIT can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
"I haven't yet, but am planning to."
Would you recommend MIT to other women?
"It doesn't look great for maternity (or paternity leave), and they treat the different levels of women differently when it comes to giving maternity leave / the pay received during maternity leave."
"There are women networks that are quite supportive and provide a lot of mentorship. Sometimes it just takes time to reach out to find the correct resources."
Would you recommend MIT to other women?
"Tough place to work as far as hours and expectations but a lot of this is group dependent."
"I was happy with the benefits although I cannot speak to parental benefits as I did not make use of them at the time."
Would you recommend MIT to other women?
"I've worked for MIT's Lincoln Laboratory, and MIT main campus for a total of 15 years. Professional women are a minority at MIT; they are fa majority among support staff, the lowest classified, where they are treated as hourly service workers. When MIT does mention "Women at MIT", it means women faculty, students, and some administrators completely ignoring the majority of women who work there. MIT is very much male dominated. Any benefit(s) that might greatly improve conditions for working women must have a demonstrated benefit to MIT's male-centric culture."
Would you recommend MIT to other women?
"The benefits and university culture are wonderful. I've been given a lot of support and flexibility around my maternity leave and return. There are very few opportunities for advancement, and even fewer women getting those opportunities within my department."
IT Service Provider & Consumer Support Engineer, IS&T
Would you recommend MIT to other women?
"MIT: definitely. The department: maybe not."