Sign Up and Win $500! One new Fairygodboss per month is randomly selected. T&C's apply.

Rolling Stone

www.rollingstone.com

ed_in_bk

Before I say anything else I want to be clear that I did really love working here and did really enjoy my job. But I also want to make it clear that it is extremely difficult for women to break into editorial jobs at the magazine. During my many years there, there were only two female editors. And neither were ever given an office. It's a very male-dominated culture, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Again, I worked with some extremely talented people, and on a day-to-day basis I was usually very happy. But I would say to any woman considering working there: Go in with your eyes open. Get experience, put the name on your resume, and then move on. As for work/life balance, there is very little. The hours are long (as is standard for publishing), and there is no flexibilty with hours or working offsite (although the online department may offer some ability to work from home, not sure).

• Recent Salary (USD)

• Recent Bonus (USD)

The company offered 12 weeks maternity leave, but only seven weeks were paid. Six weeks of those seven were paid as part of short-term disability leave (though they were paid at full salary). Since there is a week before disability pay kicks in, they use a weeks' worth of your (10) sick days to cover the first week of your leave. If you had to stop working early, they would take that time out of your 12 weeks. (To be fair, although that is the actual policy, they did let me work from home the week leading up to my due date.) You can also choose to use your vacation days as part of your leave, although you will not receive that pay until you return to work.

I worked here for a very long time and was very happy in many ways. Really smart people and colleagues who were like family. But now that I'm gone it makes me slightly ill to think about how much of a boys club it really is. Ninety-five percent of the women there are in support positions. There were only two female editors in the decade-plus that I worked there (not including online, though that was never a priority until the last few years, so...). Very few (less than five) women there had children. There was zero work/life balance. I asked for every raise, promotion and title change I received, unlike the men I worked with. If you choose to work there, be sure to go in with your eyes open.

• Recent Salary (USD)

• Recent Bonus (USD)

I had 12 weeks total. One week sick days, 6 weeks paid, three weeks vacation paid out after I returned to work, two weeks unpaid.

Women Review Rolling Stone for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Rolling Stone by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 2 reviews Company Website Anonymous - 11034 Anonymous - 10779