Employee reviews at Staples, Inc.
2.9

default img
Tell us more for better jobs, advice
and connections
your interests
Your feed isn’t personalized yet. Follow topics like career advice, lifestyle or health.
companies you follow
companiesBoxImage
Get alerted when there are new employee reviews.
YOUR JOB ALERTS
Get notified when new jobs are posted.
"The most successful store managers have been female. It's no different than working anywhere else, you just need to show you want to learn, can handle people, and explore."

Want to

"Overall Staples is struggling. But otherwise, it has been a great company to learn and grow."

Want to

"Can work your way up to management, but be prepared to work extra tasks than male management. I gave more than enough notice before maternity leave, ended up training new hired replacements the last month. Upper management did not prepare transition well, as I did have a deadline. "
One thing Staples, Inc. can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"Able to work and pick up extra hours, unable to drop down in hours even with new availability."
6 Weeks Paid | 6 Weeks Unpaid
"First 6 weeks considered short term disability with 1/2 hours paid. I was full time management at the time, worked for 1.5yrs to qualify for extra 6 weeks unpaid. Unsure what part time benefits (if any) would be."

Want to

"Staples is struggling overall, so it's not a place I would seek to work were I not already there. As a current employee, I enjoy the positive energy of the CEO, I appreciate the excellent daycare benefits, and I am benefitting from an in-house career change which may not have been possible at another employer (be it smaller or less open to such transitions). "
Sourcing Manager, Sales
"I think a certain amount of flexibility has become so commonplace that you can't give an employer bonus points for keeping up with the pack and offering the same. That said, I think Staples offers reasonable accommodations and running with the pack. Each department (and sometimes smaller team) operates in a silo and policies - or at least practices - differ a lot from department to department. "
6 Weeks Paid | 6 Weeks Unpaid
"The paid leave is made possible through STD insurance. There is a lack of consistency regarding whether a c-section gets you more paid time off than a vaginal birth does. "

Want to

"This job is physically exhausting and demands a lot of customer interactions. "
Cashier, Retail

Want to

"unfortunately Not much managment opportunities for women at this company"
Strategic Account Executive

Want to

"Decent company who doesn't understand true equity"

Want to

"Low pay and short hours for part time, and when you are hired you are not in any certain dept you have to learn everything from the get go."

Want to

"I've been with this company almost a year and, I find it to be the "GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB". We have an Operations Manager that CANNOT DO THE JOB and yet he continues to keep this position. Our Assistant Store Manager cannot seem to move up in the company even though she is an EXCELLENT LEADER, I feel that she has not been treated fairly and should have a position as a STORE MANAGER."
Cashier

Want to

"Women had been in leadership roles for many years. Women however can be much harder to work with. So many agendas and mood swings. Must have the ability to adapt to many personalities."

Want to

"I've been here around 4 years, two different stores. I've seen men and women in all departments, and all levels of management. My previous store manager was a woman, and she outshone both male managers I've had here. So good, in fact, that they transferred her to another store that was suffering so she could bring it up to level. Her replacement is abyssmal. He seems to favor the male underlings with regards to who he listens to, but those males also all work in a particular department that requires a lot more managerial support. So I think it's more to do with the position itself rather than the gender of the person in it. If the tech team was headed up by a woman I think she'd get the most managerial support."

Want to

"There are a lot of women working here and many in senior positions. There is a great Women in Business group that has networking events and occasional guest speakers."
Merchant

Want to

"Great discounted Bright Horizons childcare center. Like any large companies, flexibility and work life balance is a directly related to your Manager. I was always fortunate to have really great managers. A lot of opportunities to work on different things and Staples is always best in class with most of what they do Marketing related. They are stingy with pay raised for promotions as well as lateral moves."

Want to

"Overall, I like the company. But, it REALLY depends on the group that you are hired into. Treatment across departments is not the same. For example, even though the company has a telecommuting policy, a fair number of managers view it very negatively (even though they don't say it out loud - some have very old school views). There have been so many layoffs in the last few years too. Outsourcing/offshoring is extremely popular now which has resulted in more layoffs. Most managers do care about your work-life balance. The employees are a great group of people too. They seem to care about each other (there is even a fund to help fellow employees who are in need) - employees donate money from their paycheck to support other employees who have experienced a hard time financially (like natural disasters, cancer, house fires, etc). The benefits aren't the best. And they are behind the times on available vacation time (start out with 2 weeks, 3 weeks after 5 years, and 4 after 10 years.Then I don't think you don't get another week until 25 years). Overall, I believe it is a good company. Prior to all of the layoffs, I used to be a lot more proud of working there. But, I still think it is a good company."
IT

Want to

"I've worked here for 2 years and there are women in almost all of the departments but there should be more in each."
Invertory associate, Office supplies

Want to

"very unfair company. Back stabbing. Unfair scheduling for management."
Front end

Want to

"I have worked at Staples for almost 5 years. They seem to have a lot of part time jobs that are in the lower paying jobs in the store such as cashier and copy center. Then as you move up into tech or management, not so much."

Want to

"I worked there for 6 years. Men and women were treated equally in my experience. It was the company asking for us to meet unrealistic expectations that made working there difficult. I should not have to sign my life away for a mere 8 dollars an hour. Horrible."

"."
Rep, Ops

Want to

"Staples is a terrible place to work for (at least in my opinion.) Certain associates got treated differently than others, but in general everyone gets treated like crap. Managers are always bugging you about digital recites, square trade, and other things that don't really matter. Associates would come in late or not show up at all, sometimes forcing you to stay late (even if you have classes, I was going to college at the time). etc."

Want to

"Unfortunately, men and women are treated equally badly here. Schedules are put out late, managers are not supportive, and downright mean sometimes. Much work and not much encouragement."
Copy and Print Associate, Copy and Print

Want to

"There are a lot of women working at Staples, and many in management positions. However, past that there are virtually no women in upper management. One would think that with the number of female managers, there would certainly be a few Directors or beyond. Staples does make a point of supporting women owned businesses by selling their product lines."
B2B Sales Consultant, Contract and Commercial Sales