2.9

"The most successful store managers have been female. It's no different than working anywhere else, you just need to show you want to learn, can handle people, and explore."
Copy & Print Specialist, Customer Service
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"Overall Staples is struggling. But otherwise, it has been a great company to learn and grow."
, Finance
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"Can work your way up to management, but be prepared to work extra tasks than male management. I gave more than enough notice before maternity leave, ended up training new hired replacements the last month. Upper management did not prepare transition well, as I did have a deadline. "
"no"
One thing Staples, Inc. can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Inventory Specialist/ Operations Supervisor, Retail
"Able to work and pick up extra hours, unable to drop down in hours even with new availability."
"First 6 weeks considered short term disability with 1/2 hours paid. I was full time management at the time, worked for 1.5yrs to qualify for extra 6 weeks unpaid. Unsure what part time benefits (if any) would be."
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"If you want to be a cashier or copy center, it's great. But If you want to sell or be equal management, good luck."
"Staples is struggling overall, so it's not a place I would seek to work were I not already there. As a current employee, I enjoy the positive energy of the CEO, I appreciate the excellent daycare benefits, and I am benefitting from an in-house career change which may not have been possible at another employer (be it smaller or less open to such transitions). "
One thing Staples, Inc. can improve?
"I think a certain amount of flexibility has become so commonplace that you can't give an employer bonus points for keeping up with the pack and offering the same. That said, I think Staples offers reasonable accommodations and running with the pack. Each department (and sometimes smaller team) operates in a silo and policies - or at least practices - differ a lot from department to department. "
"The paid leave is made possible through STD insurance. There is a lack of consistency regarding whether a c-section gets you more paid time off than a vaginal birth does. "
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"Overall, I think Staples means well and is trying to improve equality in the workplace. Unfortunately, the business is struggling and I think some teams operate with equality in mind better than others do. I work on a great team that supports a male-dominated one, and I'm often dissatisfied with the communication and cooperation of my stakeholders, which is often poor enough so as to limit my progress on projects. "
"This job is physically exhausting and demands a lot of customer interactions. "
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"unfortunately Not much managment opportunities for women at this company"
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"Decent company who doesn't understand true equity"
HR Manager, HR
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"Low pay and short hours for part time, and when you are hired you are not in any certain dept you have to learn everything from the get go."
Operations manager, Office Supply
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"We have a new boss and he has made his own attendance policy, because staples did not have much of one to being with, so he made his own, and also he seems to try to stay away from the women, because he does not want to hear what they have to say."
"I've been with this company almost a year and, I find it to be the "GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB". We have an Operations Manager that CANNOT DO THE JOB and yet he continues to keep this position. Our Assistant Store Manager cannot seem to move up in the company even though she is an EXCELLENT LEADER, I feel that she has not been treated fairly and should have a position as a STORE MANAGER."
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"The hiring process is a Nightmare. I had to complete the background check 3 times before it came thru. The store is poorly run and needs new and better Management."
"Great discounted Bright Horizons childcare center. Like any large companies, flexibility and work life balance is a directly related to your Manager. I was always fortunate to have really great managers. A lot of opportunities to work on different things and Staples is always best in class with most of what they do Marketing related. They are stingy with pay raised for promotions as well as lateral moves."
Sr. Manager, N/A
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"There are a lot of women working here and many in senior positions. There is a great Women in Business group that has networking events and occasional guest speakers."
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"I've been here around 4 years, two different stores. I've seen men and women in all departments, and all levels of management. My previous store manager was a woman, and she outshone both male managers I've had here. So good, in fact, that they transferred her to another store that was suffering so she could bring it up to level. Her replacement is abyssmal. He seems to favor the male underlings with regards to who he listens to, but those males also all work in a particular department that requires a lot more managerial support. So I think it's more to do with the position itself rather than the gender of the person in it. If the tech team was headed up by a woman I think she'd get the most managerial support."
Associate, N/A
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"Women had been in leadership roles for many years. Women however can be much harder to work with. So many agendas and mood swings. Must have the ability to adapt to many personalities."
Manager, Marketing
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"I worked there for 6 years. Men and women were treated equally in my experience. It was the company asking for us to meet unrealistic expectations that made working there difficult. I should not have to sign my life away for a mere 8 dollars an hour. Horrible."
Team Supervisor, N/A
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"I have worked at Staples for almost 5 years. They seem to have a lot of part time jobs that are in the lower paying jobs in the store such as cashier and copy center. Then as you move up into tech or management, not so much."
Operations Supervisor, N/A
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"It really depends on who the general manager is."
"very unfair company. Back stabbing. Unfair scheduling for management."
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"I've worked here for 2 years and there are women in almost all of the departments but there should be more in each."
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"Overall, I like the company. But, it REALLY depends on the group that you are hired into. Treatment across departments is not the same. For example, even though the company has a telecommuting policy, a fair number of managers view it very negatively (even though they don't say it out loud - some have very old school views). There have been so many layoffs in the last few years too. Outsourcing/offshoring is extremely popular now which has resulted in more layoffs. Most managers do care about your work-life balance. The employees are a great group of people too. They seem to care about each other (there is even a fund to help fellow employees who are in need) - employees donate money from their paycheck to support other employees who have experienced a hard time financially (like natural disasters, cancer, house fires, etc). The benefits aren't the best. And they are behind the times on available vacation time (start out with 2 weeks, 3 weeks after 5 years, and 4 after 10 years.Then I don't think you don't get another week until 25 years). Overall, I believe it is a good company. Prior to all of the layoffs, I used to be a lot more proud of working there. But, I still think it is a good company."
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"This is a great company. I have a back problem and they are willing to work with me as I try and figure out ways to try and either get rid of the pain or try to work through it. If I have had lady problems they are fully understandable about things like that. I had left Staples once before. I had moved and when I started at my new Staples, this family is a millions times better than my old Staples family."
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"There are a lot of women working at Staples, and many in management positions. However, past that there are virtually no women in upper management. One would think that with the number of female managers, there would certainly be a few Directors or beyond. Staples does make a point of supporting women owned businesses by selling their product lines."
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"Women are successful at this company, but just never seem to be able to get past a certain management level."
"Unfortunately, men and women are treated equally badly here. Schedules are put out late, managers are not supportive, and downright mean sometimes. Much work and not much encouragement."
Would you recommend Staples, Inc. to other women?
"Flexible hours, lousy pay and managers"
"Staples is a terrible place to work for (at least in my opinion.) Certain associates got treated differently than others, but in general everyone gets treated like crap. Managers are always bugging you about digital recites, square trade, and other things that don't really matter. Associates would come in late or not show up at all, sometimes forcing you to stay late (even if you have classes, I was going to college at the time). etc."
Cashier, N/A