Employee reviews at State of New York

State of New York

3.6

default img
Tell us more for better jobs, advice
and connections
your interests
Your feed isn’t personalized yet. Follow topics like career advice, lifestyle or health.
companies you follow
companiesBoxImage
Get alerted when there are new employee reviews.
YOUR JOB ALERTS
Get notified when new jobs are posted.
"From what I've gathered, women are given as much opportunity here as men. I've never experienced discrimination while working here, I just wish there were more opportunity to grow within the organization rather than having to leave."
"Other"
Legal Assistant, Administrative
Policies, Culture, Hours

Want to

"Professional union exists but does not do very much for family policy concerns. "
"Not sure"
One thing State of New York can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
"Legal department does not allow flexible schedules but all other departments do. "
"Union does not seem to be working on the paid leave issue, even though NYS mandates it for private employers since January 2018. State management is not making it enough if a priority. "

Want to

"It's mediocre for parental benefits, with limited time off and inflexible hours. "
One thing State of New York can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Attorney, Legal
3 Weeks Paid | 11 Weeks Unpaid
"Pay was through disability insurance. "
"Maybe"

Want to

"My particular agency is diverse, and supportive of employees from many different backgrounds. We have women in leadership positions. There is no coherent maternity leave policy, however. You will have to use accrued leave time, and then 4-6 weeks at half-pay. And explain the policy to your supervisors. Once you come back, however, you will have support while pumping. My particular agency doesn't allow working from home, so expect to mother long distance."
Attorney
0 Weeks Paid | 16 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"They have a program very helpful for women taking maternity leave that is not publicized. It's called VRWS (Voluntary Reduction in Work Service). For the 2nd and 3rd trimesters of my pregnancy, under this program I was able to work 100% of my schedule (full time) but take home 70% of my pay and bank the other 30% for paid leave in the future. The other benefit of this program was that for every ten day pay period while I was out on leave, I only had to use 7 days of accruals. So I was able to stretch out my leave longer, although I was at 70% of my salary. By staying on the payroll during my leave, NYS still covered my healthcare costs (a considerable expense since my husband and child were both on my insurance). I also took advantage of temporary disability. Between these 3 things, and years of vacation and sick leave accruing, I was able to take almost 6 months of leave, all of which was paid at 50% to 70% of my salary. Pretty good considering that technically my agency did not offer "paid maternity leave" per se (in that they do not "gift" wages to employees who go out on leave). I think women are able to advance here and I did not feel judged for taking as much time as I did, but I'm sure the culture varies from agency to agency and within each division as well."
Counsel's Office