University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center

mdanderson.org

brem

Department Supervisor

Healthcare

My bosses there were misogynistic and the women who work there have to do 5 times better than the male workers to receive any commendation or compensation comparatively.

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

At first they are flexible but then they give you a hard time about working unusual hours.

Work was saved for me while I was out and I was frequently called and asked questions while I was out because the managers and medical director did not know how to perform my job.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

stealthMD

The hours and pay are good but the culture and leadership are not female friendly.

I was able to get paid for some of my 2 maternity leaves by using my sick leave and my paid-time-off bank. there is no paid maternity leave here.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. The pay is good and the culture can be family friendly if you are creative and firm about your boundaries. That is worth a lot with kids in tow....downside, is that it will slow you down in terms of career advancement. very old-boys-network at the leadership level.

Lady momdoc

MD Anderson does not provide paid maternity leave. Employees must use sick leave/Extended Illness Bank (6 weeks for vaginal/8 weeks for Csection), the rest is unpaid if you want to get the full 12 weeks of FMLA leave for job protection. Other than that, it is quite a good place to work for. Depending on the department you work at, as a staff there is potential job growth but some jobs are just stagnant. There are quite a lot of turnovers but everyone gets great jobs after the MDACC experience. MDACC pays for employee health insurance and there are many awards (monetary or extra PTO) that they give out for outstanding job performance during the year. They also have a defined benefit plan for retirement which is vested after 5 years of working here. I've only been here for a few months, I feel the work is challenging and satisfying as we are on the forefront of cancer fighting. It is definitely demanding, but they also make sure you are not overworked.