Urban Outfitters, Inc.

"Similar to most of the retail companies where I've worked, there are many more men in leadership than women, given the customer base is 90% women. Women tend to lead creative functions, with men leading business functions. There are absolutely exceptions, and 2 of the 3 sub-brands are now run by women."
"no"
One thing Urban Outfitters, Inc. can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
"Depends on your specific leader and department/division"
"The publicly-offered maternity policy is 0 paid days from the company. You have to file for FMLA and you get your job held for 12 weeks. They USED to have a policy where you were given a bonus upon returning to work after maternity leave, but that was phased out several years ago (it's possible that a few women would grandfather in, but likely most are past maternal age, unless they started as interns). I have seen very senior executives ask women to work WHILE on maternity leave (though technically giving them the choice) and I believe that sets a negative precedent and I feel the company is hypocritical - we value these women enough to need them while they're out, but not enough to actually pay them for that work."
Would you recommend Urban Outfitters, Inc. to other women?
"Unfortunately, industry standard. There are some other nice perks, like dogs on campus and casual dress."
"There are a LOT of women that work for this company, being a fashion brand. However, it is predominantly white women and given how much the company relies on women's work, their support is very inconsistent. "
Assoc. Marketing Manager, Marketing
"It really depends on who your manager is. Because there is no HR department, there really aren't any corporate policies regarding flex time. I was lucky enough to have bosses who were very understanding about needing to work from home or duck out early. That is not the case in all departments. Their maternity leave is also garbage and there aren't enough breast pumping rooms - in some buildings it's just a bathroom with a chair in it. "
Would you recommend Urban Outfitters, Inc. to other women?
"You have to be the right personality for this company - both in terms of who you are as a person (to be happy there) and externally (they will pass up perfectly qualified candidates because they don't have the right look and aren't "on brand". There's also a serious lack of diversity. "
"Catty and clicky. Some female leaders will not recognize your talent or help you grow professionally. Everyone else will look the other way if you are mistreated."
"Treat employees better."
Buyer, Retail
Would you recommend Urban Outfitters, Inc. to other women?
"Many places in the fashion industry are dominated by women. UO is no exception. As such, it's a very comfortable place for women to work. It's peculiar that the further you look up the corporate ladder here, the more the demographic turns to conservative white men."
Buying Intern, N/A