Administrative Assistant To Director

Come work here! People are well-taken care of and supported in many ways both personally and professionally. I have had an EXCELLENT experience with my female supervisor so far, and I plan to stay here as long as possible. She is very supportive and encouraging of my personal goals and furthering my education, and even after I get my master's degree my first choice will always be to stay in the department she supervises. If you see a job opening for something that looks interesting and in your skill-set, apply! You will not regret it.

My particular department director is EXTREMELY understanding and flexible with us. She is very supportive of time away for sick leave or other family things that come up. I know if I ever need time off all I have to do is ask. She also encouraged me to continue my education (which is FREE to employees), and has let me know that I will be able to adjust my work hours to take any classes I need to complete my degree. I LOVE this place.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

I've been at WMU for eight years. I have experienced misogyny from male administrators, sexual harassment from both men and woman, and daily abuse from supervisors. Our HR is a joke and no one is held accountable unless they are so low on the totem that they would make a fuss when let go. Staff members are treated like servants, while faculty are treated like royalty. Every office is beyond short-staffed. My boss regularly tries to get me to divulge details of my family planning and has even referred to people like me as "breeders." WMU offers generous vacation, if your supervisor allows you to use your days. Sick leave is generous too, but staff members should expect supervisors who go out of their way to try to make you come in when you're sick or caring for a sick child. There is no formal allowance for a flexible schedule or working from home. Doing so is determined by individual department supervisors. Few women return from maternity leave.