Potential for Multiple Job Offers but timing challenge- How to handle?
I was laid off from my job, after an 8 year tenure, due to new leadership, restructuring and COVID. I have been hard at the job search for the past month and a half, and after a pretty busy interview schedule the past two week, I was offered a decent position. This offer came quicker than I anticipated(I was told there would likely be additional interviews), and they are asking for a quick turnaround for a decision so they can get me all set up to start at the beginning of the year. My challenge is that I am still in the mix for a few other roles, one of which I am far along in the process and more excited about.
The salary for the current offer is decent, and they bumped it up quite a bit from what they originally budgeted for the role to get me. I asked for additional time to sign, but even with it, it is unlikely the other company can make a decision within that timeframe. Do I just accept the first offer and continue along the process with the second company? If they offer me that role, and it is truly a better situation, be honest with the first company? This is not my style, nor something I am comfortable with, but I have a family and feel it would be irresponsible to pass up the first offer.