I learned last week that my work function will be divested from our current company. Just 2 weeks before that, I learned that I am expecting a baby around early May. I was planning to wait until my first prenatal doctor appointment in about 4 weeks to let my manager and project leads know that I will be going out on parental leave so that we could start planning who will cover my responsibilities. However, now I am concerned about whether I should bring this up sooner to ensure that I will be eligible for FMLA with the new company. The only info I could find says: An employee who was eligible to take leave and had notified the previous employer of his or her intention to take FMLA leave may not be denied leave by the successor employer. (https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-qa/pages/mergersandfmla.aspx)
Our company has not yet shared any timeline on when they expect the divestment to occur, but we have the sense that they are in negotiations with a specific buyer at this time. I am concerned about making this information public, knowing that there are about to be negotiations to keep people as part of the divested group (vs. those people leaving for jobs elsewhere). I am pretty sure my best option is to stick with the divested group as I would not have FMLA eligibility with a new company. I would like to think this won't matter and any decent company/group/manager is going to let me take my leave without a problem, but that is not something I am willing to leave to chance. I am also worried that notifying my colleagues this soon could result in a lot of emotional turmoil if it turns out the pregnancy is not viable in some way.
I do have an issue submitted to HR for more information, but I do not trust that their answer will necessarily be in my own best interest even if it is technically truthful.
Does anyone have any advice or resources?