I had an international trip scheduled for this summer, but obviously given everything going on, that will not happen. I initially reached out to the airline who refused to give me a refund and were really difficult in helping me out during all of this. I was really upset, because it was a lot of money. So, I reached out to my bank to get the charge disputed. While I was waiting for the decision to be made by my bank, the airline finally came out and said they will provide a refund if the flight is cancelled and to provide my bank information—so I did that. During that time, the flight was cancelled and my bank informed me that I got the refund (which was great!). But now, over a month later, the airline also refunded me. To be quite honest, I do not want to deal with the airline directly since they were so rude to me the first time around and it took forever to get in touch with them, but thinking of reaching out to my bank instead to resolve this. What would you do in this situation?