How do you network on Linkedin? How do you start accessing hidden market for jobs? Can you just ping a recruiter on Linkedin? Any advise will be helpful.
Browse recent posts
One of my supervisors says things like I don't have confidence.
In my personal life that may be true, however at work I am very confident of my abilities to perform the roles and responsibilities of my position. Some back ground, my first day at this job was August 3rd, 2023. After about a week to week and a half, I felt I have learned to perform the tasks assigned at each given interval and record the sata on paperwork as I have been trained to do. However the same supervisor seems group text messages to my coworkers and I that I feel degrades me. For instance, she was praising everyone in the message and when she came to me she wrote that I am now able to proform everytask on my paperwork easily. The problem I have with this is, I have been able to perform every tasks on my paperwork on time for week over 6 1/2 -7 weeks. Last week at my employee review she stated that I excelled in my role and if she hasn't knew better she would have thought I had been with the company for at least three months.... Someone help me understand what is going on??????????
1 Like • 2 Comments
Marketing yourself in a changing job market is not easy. With this in mind, I want to share the following ideas with you that you may not have tried. (I have used many of these ideas in my own job search and they gave me a sense of empowerment.)
▪ Reference checks -- companies can ask for the applicants 1) start date, 2) end date, and 3) are they eligible for re-hire? Question 3 is a closed-end question. It is not asking for any details; however, the way your former employer answers it says a lot.
▪ Not all jobs posted are open positions. Companies often post job descriptions for future positions and to see what the talent pool has to offer.
▪ Does your resume highlight your job-related skills, transferrable skills, self-management skills and your self-leadership skills? What makes you stand out from the rest of the applicants?
▪ Remember, you can search the Internet for job search firms that specialize in your field.
▪ Do you have a plan for your job search? As an unofficial project manager, (I had all of the stress and responsibilities but not the six-figure salary.) Having a plan gives you focus and helps prioritize your search.
▪ Your local unemployment office can help market you to local area companies. Many of these companies do not post open positions or future positions. Ask about project work.
▪ Volunteering has many benefits. It is a great way to network and meet new people. You can put it on your resume under the title of Community Activities. Many companies look for this skill. It shows them that you give back to your communities and it makes them look good.
▪ Check your local area newspapers. Look for articles on business trends and growing companies in your area.
▪ You can order professional, but inexpensive, business cards online. A neighborhood restaurant has a table covered with flyers, bulletins and business cards.
▪ Do not overlook temporary or contract opportunities. These jobs can get your foot into the door, gives you an opportunity to see the company’s culture and could lead to a permanent position. It also helps pay the bills.
Searching for a new job is a fulltime job and I hope these ideas help you in your journey
1 Like • 0 Comments
I have 2 co-workers who just don't like me.
I honestly do NOT know why. They have been verbally abusive and completely shut me out of projects I need to participate in. The good of this is that it was caught on record and one very nasty bit of communication was recorded (during a meeting) HR did get involved (through my manager, not me) and they are now playing "nice" I am at a loss as to how to deal with this. I am not "nice" back but extremely professional in all my conduct and communication. They are now inviting me to the appropriate meetings and including me in most communications. How do I proceed? continue to be professional with zero trust or (gasp) trust them?
3 Likes • 5 Comments
How to improve communications with a coworker?
I have been with a company for 2 years but with recent layoffs, moved to a different role that is very different than my last. I’m retraining with a coworker who I have known since I’ve started and been in the role around 2 months now. Lately, they have been very short on their chat messages, making comments that to me feel dismissive and inconvenient to them, especially when asking a question to confirm I am understanding the new role. I addressed my concern with them directly to move on and have a better form of communication, however they responded and looped in our manager. My goal was just to have a quick discussion since things over email can become misinterpreted easily (especially tone.) Any advice on how to 1.) continue to advocate for myself 2.) make sure this does not become a long term issue with communications 3.) how can I better ask questions without being an inconvenience with learning this new role
0 Likes • 3 Comments
Are there people who you can go to for finding jobs and help you with your resume like recruiters who are legitimate and don't cost an arm?
I've been searching for work since May this year and I just feel overwhelmed with where I should be applying vs where I actually am applying. I've worked my best on my resume but I've got no one to double check it to ensure I did it right. I followed several different "how to write your resume" books and websites that I could but... Then most wanted money. I've tried the keywords and trying to tailor what I can actually do to fit the jobs I'm applying for... are resumes okay to be 3 pages long? Are bullets better than paragraphs? It's all so confusing and I've broken down to my husband over this so often. I don't know where to turn or who I could ask for help. My husband doesn't know about how to do a resume, I asked. Every denial just makes me feel like I did something wrong with my applications.
0 Likes • 4 Comments
Not sure where to ask this?
I have updated my resume-but I already uploaded it for the resume drop. How can I change it for that event? Thank you!