While having a toxic boss is one thing, there's also the dreaded stubborn boss. You don't feel overworked or overwhelmed, but you still can't get them to love you--no matter what you do.
If you want to move from simply coasting by to exceeding your boss' expectations, here are some of my favorite tips.
1. Stay focused. This might seem like a no-brainer, but staying focused at all times--even during the most boring video meetings--can be the key to your success. You'll be more likely to pick up on your boss' and coworkers intentions and expectations, and you'll show your boss where your priorities are.
2. Stay positive. No boss will be impressed by someone who just complains all the time. Staying positive means encouraging others and giving them constructive feedback on their work. It means taking feedback others give you and implementing it in productive ways.
3. Be honest. If we're trying to impress our boss, we may not be honest about our mistakes. Yet we all mess up sometime or another. It's important to own our work and be proactive for the next time.
4. Do your job well. This doesn't mean you're just meeting expectations. You're going beyond them and being more efficient and productive with every task.
5. Understand the big picture. You might be impressing your boss on a day to day basis, but the work matters more when it's supporting the bigger picture: your boss's larger goals and intentions. If you don't know what the bigger picture is, ask!
Has anyone else experienced this? What have you found helpful when trying to impress a stubborn boss?