Hey WHITE people! You! Yes, you! I'm not talking to the person behind you. I want you to think about a few things:
1) The race problem will not change without us. People of color (ALL marginalized groups for that matter) need allies.
2) If you're complacent, you're complicit. If you stand idoly by and don't do anything, you're just as guilty as the people spreading hate and fear.
3) Let it begin with you. If it doesn't start with you, where will it begin?
4) Don't be afraid to speak up. If your friends are hatemongers, do you really want them as "friends"? You have no idea how many messages I receive from people telling me they're afraid of what friends will think if they post something of this nature.
5) Teach your children to do better. It's our responsibility to teach those that are younger than us to do and be better.
6) VOTE and be an informed voter. Use your choice to initiate change. Demand it! Vote all the way down the ballot!
7) Voting isn't a popularity contest! Vote with your beliefs. If your politics don't align with your political party, you may need to readjust your thinking and switch sides.
8) Do NOT apologize for being an advocate! Don't feed the trolls. Yes, you can educate them, but don't let them draw attention away from what you're accomplishing.
9) Understand the difference between a protest and a riot. The rioters are exploiting the protests. A lot of it is criminal and fringe radical group motivated that is not being reported by media, but I have friends across the nation on the front lines that are risking their lives and telling me their stories.
10) Please comprehend that when we say, "Black Lives Matter", we're not saying that all lives aren't equally significant. We're simply saying that something needs to be done to right the wrongs that have happened to an entire RACE of people for hundreds of years yet they continue to be oppressed.
11) Remember we can't fix this with hatred or violence. We need an open dialog that will allow for discussion and healing.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." ~ MLK