To Interview or Not to Interview - That is the Question
During my job search, I was excited to receive an email to schedule an interview with a great organization. In scheduling the interview, I was asked for a salary range that I was looking to earn to be respectful of one another's time.
This is where the agonizing you-need-a-job-don't-blow-this inner dialogue begins. I decide to tell them a range that would make sense for my experience, the market, the position...etc. would support, etc. I will say I did it with trepidation because this was an opportunity at a great organization and they are not lining up outside of my door. After I provided the salary range the scheduler responded that the budgeted amount for the post was at least 10K less and asks if I would like to still schedule the interview.
I call another meeting in my head (phoned a friend) and rationalize the following thoughts:
1. This is not what I want to earn and realistically won't be able to maintain with that salary (chances are zero to none they will be dazzled by my brilliance and offer me more).
2. It beats a blank - could interview and they still hire someone else or I could get hired and then what....keep looking?
3. This could be great practice, it's been 10 years since you've been on an interview.
4. If I say "No thank you" to respect all of our time, will I slam that door shut for other opportunities with this amazing organization?
Ultimately I decided it would not be courteous or professional to waste our time scheduling the interview. The scheduler thanked me for my transparency and told me to keep an eye out for other positions on their site.
Should I have gone on the interview? Was the response a polite one as my resume went through the digital shredder? What are your thoughts here? (Thank you in advance!)