Maven

You have to be very aggressive and protect your boundaries to spend time with your family. This will likely limit your ability to move up though.

Not for Promotion, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews
Firecat

Consider another employer unless you are willing to sacrifice work over family -there is little respect for family time off /a double standard for women at Amazon. It's a super hard environment in general but tougher if you are in senior roles and balancing a family. Be prepared to work 60 hour weeks.

Culture is male dominated-needs to change from to mgmt or hiring won't be successful

proceed with caution, they will low ball you on the initial offer

it's very group specific and would depend on the org
Anonymous - 9860 Engineering Intern

My team was great but there were very few women in leadership positions.

They seem to be trying to improve but they are not there yet.
JustOneMore Engineering Intern

My team was great but there were very few women in leadership positions.

They seem to be trying to improve but they are not there yet.

Evaluate the team and the manager. If there is a team of only single male employees and the woman is a mother, then the challenges and schedules will be different. Choosing a team is just as important as an employeer choosing and employee.

Maternity often means "mommy track". I was told that having kids would "remove me from being considered" a high achiever.
Depends on the role and manager.
guest

Have an impact on team to ensure managers will notice

Depends on team manager and team culture
Lady abcxyz Senior Software Development Engineer

Very fast paced. Requires high sense of ownership. Benefits are standard, not many other perks.

Lady BabiesMom Software Developer, Digital

It really depends on your manager. The company as a whole does a terrible job promoting diversity etc. Compared to other prospective employers in the area, it has the worst maternity leave policy (and no paternity leave policy). The fact that there is 0 paid paternity leave is particularly unfair - how comfortable are you in taking maternity leave, if somene else who has kids get none? My direct manager was amazing, so I had a pretty good experience there, but my boss' boss was from Turkey, and had a very traditional eastern-european approach to childcare (stay at home mom, travel a lot father) and therefore wasn't very supportive to my career. Whenever he came to my area, he spent the entire time talking to another developer (also turkish) in turkish. Amazon is such a mixed bag. As a company, they don't focus at all on any of the things more enlightened companies at least try to focus on (parental leave, diversity and inclusion, work life balance), but depending on your direct manager or your peers, things can be really good there. Or really bad. Also worth noting, there is only 1 nursing room per building (although its pretty nice). During my year of nursing, I was able to get into the nursing room exactly 2 times. There were around 20 lactating mothers in the entire building, each taking 30 minutes or so to do their thing, it was pretty much impossible. All the meeting rooms/offices have transparent doors. I had to bring a sheet, kick my manager out of his office, and hang it up on his door, and pump in there. Terrible.

It really depends on your boss.
Lady peacewme Recruiter, Human Resources

Be prepared to bet treated as sub-par and to fight for every win. I worked there for just over 2 years and being run over by under experienced and dehumanizing males, it made it difficult to "do the right thing" on a daily basis. If you "disagree and commit" you are a stark raving bi_-_ and if you don't stand firm you don't have "backbone".

Depending upon the role and the specific team as many are "good 'ol boy's clubs"

Women Review Amazon for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Amazon by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.1 stars, based on 96 reviews Company Website Maven Firecat JustOneMore anon1582 guest Lady abcxyz Lady BabiesMom Lady peacewme