Lady Anon747 Software Engineer, EC2

Spent 3 years at Amazon on AWS EC2. I left due to discrimination by my manager, which made my last 1.5 years pretty awful. Lots of being judged differently to others for the same work, got shouted at, told I was whining when I asked for more responsibility. I understand that there are bad managers everywhere, but my poor review comes from the way in which my complaints were handled by senior management. When I first spoke to my skip level manager about how I was being treated, he spoke a lot about how gender discrimination was still a big problem in the tech industry, but did nothing more with my complaint. When I took it to HR, we had a dispute resolution session. I waited more than 6 months for the results. When they came, it was that he had acted inappropriately. The repercussions? He was suggested to do a course about being a better manager if it became available in his location (in the intervening 6 months he'd changed teams and locations). No mention of bias. No mention of any larger problem. Since I left, 3/4 other women in the office of 250 (we were remote) have left citing similar issues. I'd put it down to culture in a remote office, but the senior members were from Seattle (and so was my awful manager). I learnt a lot of things while there, great operational experience, but man, I took a beating too.

Lady al12 SDE Intern, AWS

I worked at Amazon only as an intern. Interesting projects to work on, but not a very friendly culture for women.

Lady Arietty Software Development Engineer, AWS

Amazon is largely male-dominated, and so at times, it can definitely feel isolating being one of the few women in the office (only 12% are women in my organization). Also, from my experience, team events can often gear towards male interests, and I feel that the upper management does not see supporting diversity in tech as a priority. There has been many times when a letter to the upper management regarding better environment for women employees goes unheard. As well, (unsurprisingly) it is not uncommon to see unconscious bias in the office and insensitive comments coming from male coworkers. The good thing is, there is a very large and supportive community for women in engineering, where such topics are discussed. Employees also have the chance to attend many events, like the Grace Hopper Conference. It is just that, oftentimes, it can feel like mostly everyone who cares are women. And so we don't see improvements to the workplace as quickly as other companies.

Depends on the team
Lady anon527 Recruiter, University Programs

I've loved my job, but I see how hard it can be working at Amazon as a woman and as a regular person with kids. Boundaries are important, but Amazon likes to recruit people who want to be successful more then they want to have good boundaries, so it can really drain people.

Lady laila32

make sure you find a good manager

if it's on a good team
Lady camelbak Senior Vendor Manager

Being a technology company, employees and managers are naturally men-heavy. Given how smart the employees are, it's surprising there isn't more structural support for (new) moms. For starters, they need to catch up on giving more generous maternity (and paternity) leave. They should also take tips from moms and turn them into standard expectations/ policies: returning/ starting with part-time work after maternity leave, having a new mom mentor, etc.

It's great before baby but not so after
Lady anon254 Director, Finance

It is hard work but very rewarding

Lady anon255 Sr Marketing Manager

Hard work with few benefits. Great for the childless or people who can do the hours- there's no explicit boys club. But work/life balance is hard and could hold you back. Maternity benefits very poor for industry (no paternity leave at all). No daycare benefits, 1 year wait lists.

Meritocracy, but the maternity benefits are very poor for the industry. Very difficult to just work 40-45 hrs/week
Lady tracecoll Non Inventory Receiver, Procurement

I think women get a fair shake with this company, I have seen many women rise through the ranks into management positions.

I would recommend it to young women, but i think there is an age barrier
Lady banana

You work very hard. Work is very rewarding. Very male dominated and not comfortable with different leadership styles.

Women Review Amazon for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Amazon by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.1 stars, based on 96 reviews Company Website Lady Anon747 Lady al12 Lady Arietty Lady anon527 Lady laila32 Lady camelbak Lady anon254 Lady anon255 Lady tracecoll Lady banana