"May not have the best work/life balance if trying to raise a family. Depends on your role."
Recruiter, TA
Would you recommend Amazon to other women?
"Especially in AWS teams there can be a more cutthroat environment that tends to implicitly favor men over women. I would recommend a team in Retail unless you explicitly want that kind of environment."
Would you recommend Amazon to other women?
"Not my team, but to other locations in the company"
"I have been at this company for 4.5 years. Finding the right team is important. Finding a team with interesting work, growth opportunities, and a supportive environment can be very difficult though. Especially if you work in digital products (ie Android and devices). A lot of the service and website teams tend to have better work-life balance, especially the teams that have been around longer. There are plenty of orgs where almost all of the employees (50+) are younger men and there might be one woman. Of those people, very few (if any) know how to be an ally to women. On the other hand, some orgs are almost 30% women. The more interesting projects can be very competitive and require you to put in 10+ hours a day, but most managers allow you to be flexible with those hours if needed (ie only work nights or work from home). On some teams, I have noticed that people complain more about women who use flexible hours and don't care that men do it, but that probably happens everywhere. Some managers will call employees on the double standard, some will ignore the feedback, and others might use it as a negative point against you (I have seen all of these scenarios). Teams that are mostly younger employees tend to be the ones that work ridiculous hours (it is also where you will most likely find brogrammer culture), I would recommend avoiding them if possible. Amazon has the concept of the "fungible" engineer, which means they will put 5 newer SDEs on a high priority project with no experience in the technology and expect something production-worthy in 8-12 weeks. After the deadline, almost everyone leaves, there will be no documentation and a team of mostly new people with one senior person will be created to 'fix' it. Stay away from these teams if you value your time. If you survive it is great, but if you fail, it is easy to become a scape goat. Voicing complaints can be hard without being labelled "whiney" or having little "bias for action" or worse, having people vehemently disagree that there is a problem and disregarding your experience. While the company recently revamped their SDE job level criteria to make promotion less mysterious, a lot of management still treat those criteria it as "up to interpretation" and will either be very vague about what they are looking for or treat certain criteria as more important than others. Having clear promotion conversations with your manager is a must, and in some cases you might realize that you need to switch teams. I would recommend having this sort of conversation before even committing to a team."
Would you recommend Amazon to other women?
"It really depends on the potential team, org, the person's interests, and the person's career goals."
"I've worked here for 2 years in engineering, and there are primarily men. The higher up you go the fewer and fewer women. And while the company talks the talk about focusing on diversity, within orgs and management it's not discussed. When bringing it up with a manager there's lip service but no understanding; and more importantly no action to make changes."
TPM, N/A
Would you recommend Amazon to other women?
"Depends on your role, your manager and org culture/leadership"
"I have worked here for almost 3 years and there are a lot of women here. The women that are the highest level are over HR and Learning. Normal "female" roles. Since I work in the Facilities department, it has been somewhat difficult being a woman. Just yesterday one of the techs made a disparaging remark about what I could possibly know about a subject that is dear to me. It is nice that we have a room available for nursing mothers, and the leave offered is great. However, moving up does not seem to be offered very easily to women. In fact, I have been more relegated to a typical "female" role since I have been physically relocated to the locale of the male "leaders" of the FC. Will you go fetch lunch, and is there fresh coffee. wow..."
Would you recommend Amazon to other women?
"This is a totally data driven business, mostly men in charge, you MUST be a strong woman with a confident personality to do well here. You adhere to the leadership tenants, reach beyond your role, network like crazy, and find mentors. It is possible to move up quickly here, especially if you are hired right out of school."
Recruiting Manager, N/A
Would you recommend Amazon to other women?
"I would forewarn of what they are going to experience. It's like drinking from a firehose."