peacefulcreativity

It's a dog eat dog place and you must make your voice heard. It's male dominated and you'll run into a lot of complex personalities. It's not for the faint of heart.

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

• Flexibility of the employer

It's entirely dependent on where you work.

mview

Great place for a woman who wants to be an IC and has no other responsibilities or aspirations outside of work.

• Flexibility of the employer

I don't see many women being promoted to leadership roles.

This is as big company with lots of different pockets to work in.

• Flexibility of the employer

This is as big company with lots of different pockets to work in.

Fausty

I feel like Apple is a much better envirnonment that the advertising agency culture I left to come here. They treat you with more respect have more family friendly policies and the hours are such that you can have a life outside of work.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Amazing opportunity to work with individuals who are star players

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Depends what type of a role someone is interested in

AppleSux

Software Engineer

Engineering

Apple's claims that they value diversity are PR only and their numbers must be inflated by including Apple Store employees. In my division at Apple there is one woman on each team of ~20-30 people. There is no training for employees about diversity, or unconscious bias - which goes a long way to explaining their failure to hire any women. I've had to endure humiliating comments from my workmates about my hair and clothes. I'm tasked with menial and uninteresting work despite having a PhD and 10 years of work experience, complaints to my manager about my inconsistent workload go nowhere and I've had to watch male colleagues straight out of grad school get promoted ahead of me. The company Christmas party featured a scavenger hunt where one of the tasks was to line up 4 women in red dresses and take a photo. Another task was to "smear a man's face with lipstick" and photograph it. Women are viewed as objects of curiosity here and not seen as equals. HR organize a "diversity bash" to celebrate Apple's diversity. The clumsy title of this event conveys how interested Apple HR are in making this a better place to work. Stay away, it's not worth it.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

While Apple has good intention on the family-friendly and treating women & men equally, but it often does not happen at first level managers level.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Depends on the group and manager

clevervgirl

I would say that your experience here can vary widely depending on your particular area. I work in a group where I am respected and considered a leader. I believe my pay is on par with my male counterparts, and my work is valued. I have been in other groups where this is not exactly the case, and I know of other women in my area (and in other groups) who are living another experience. Be sure to speak up for yourself, build a support system in other groups and have the confidence to toot your own horn. Without the ability to self-promote, you can find yourself left behind.

Starlight

Overall Apple is a pretty decent place to work - the good times outweigh the bad in the 13 years I've been here. I've worked at some truly attrocious places and comparitively, this place is a dream palace, but it has issues and I will not overlook those. If you come to work here, be prepared to fight for what you deserve and don't back down.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Different departments experience different levels of equality and sometimes it depends totally on the management. I've had great experiences and was treated well with seemingly decent pay. Though the latter is debatable after seeing my husband go through the same groups I did, a few years after I did, while getting raises 4% higher than my highest raises with exceeding expectations on every review. There are managers within Apple who are very misogynistic and are also high up in the chain of command. It's either difficult to get rid of people like this or they don’t try very hard unfortunately. One such manager asked my husband, who also works for Apple as a manager, if he married “above his pay grade”. Not only is this question wholly inappropriate and very good ole boy network style, but it's as if my looks are more important than anything else about me. This same higher manager has discriminated against women and gay men in his group and women in particular have had to be removed to other areas of the company and he is still somehow in charge of an entire group. Disgusting. In my current area, there are few women and for a long time I was one of two. My pay is lower than nearly everyone else I have been working with (all guys at the time) including new people to the team who were hired four years after me. I now make what the new people being hired to the team make five years later, while people hired one year after me are making literally tens of thousands more than me. Going to HR would result in intimidation from the higher bosses of this area and I need my job. Moving jobs is not an option at the moment though I've been looking. I've been called hostile for being passionate about things, told I talk too much, I’m too quirky to speak in meetings that I lead, aggressive, bitchy, and that I shouldn’t complain when I’m being mansplained - all the feminist tropes. The mansplaining complaint was put through management and passed along to the employee doing it most egregiously. He then mansplained on my review how I should be open to being mansplained and shouldn’t take it as an offense. Also, I’m not the mom type while at work and since I'm a mom at home that is looked down upon. I work with grown ass men, they can make their own cookies and take care of themselves.

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at Apple in the past year?

say gotten better

No comments yet.

say gotten worse

No comments yet.

say the same

There is definitely still a disparity between the amount and male and female employees and leadership. But the more Apple continues to stay true to their promise of diversity, I'm hopeful that will change. There are opportunities for women to move up, but it can seem discouraging when you don't see as many women in leadership positions.

Women Review Apple for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Apple by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 83 reviews Company Website peacefulcreativity mview anon3052 Fausty anon2853 AppleSux anon2672 clevervgirl Starlight