kb128

Make sure the flex hours aren't just lip service, but actually supported by the leadership in your group.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. The flexible work hours depend on the group you work for. It can exist in some orgs.

Water

Director

Human Resources

True voice at the table. Supported from the top level - amazing CEO.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Great pay and benefits, tough culture for women.

Very flexible work environment, but I have found that most employers, especially tech employers, have that these days.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Change the environment to one that does not tolerate abuse in any way -- superior to subordinate, peer-to-peer, etc.

Maybe. Great benefits, especially if you are eager to start or grow a family. But women are definitely treated differently in regard to work product expectations and willingness to accept bullying.

LostInTheCore

My advice for women interested in this company is to try to come in at a level where you will be satisfied and if you get an opportunity to move up, it's just icing on the cake. If you come in at the bottom, you will be hard pressed to ever have an opportunity to move up. Many come here to take advantage of the good healthcare benefits. There is not a lot of work-life balance because of pressure constantly put on you by management. Many say they are so exhausted when they get off work that they cannot enjoy their days off and the battles at work bleed into personal relationships. It is a very authoritarian structure that doesn’t allow for much “thinking outside of the box” among the lower levels. They basically want you to be robotic drones who just take orders. They ask for feedback, but whether anything real and truly meaningful is done with that feedback is another story. I find management to be abrasive, combative, and dwelling in a long line within the ranks of “yes” men & women. It’s not a place where you can truly be creative and outstanding and feel like you have accomplished something. I’ve stopped talking because they don’t want to hear any voices but their own. These are the new "Masters of the Universe,” or so they believe. With that kind of hubris, you’ll be lucky to see much change.

There are relatively few women at this company in leadership roles, and they cannot possibly relate to those way down the line within the lower ranks who barely get by on minimal wages, who are overlooked time and again when opportunities arise, who are constantly pestered because they went out of the way to provide good customer service, but it caused a metric or two to fall out of line. Those who do sit at higher levels, based on my more than five years of experience at the company, don’t do very much to help women below them, who have a significant amount of experience and education that is highly transferrable, move up and into more appropriate roles within the organization. There is talk, but little action. It was even suggested that this may not be the right company for me by a more senior person who joined the organization a few years after I began. Well it certainly is a bureaucracy without a doubt. In some roles, there are up to 10 layers of management between the worker and the CEO. I can’t help but wonder if women at this company tend not to help other women because there are so few opportunities for women in general in key roles where one can grow and their compensation with grow as well, that they fear they could be displaced. My father always told me that women don't help each other and the longer I live, the more I find this to be true. There is too much jealousy. You really have to know your playground, and toiling in lower-level work, working under a string of managers who have less education and experience than you is only going to leave you feeling trapped. I have to say I am extremely disappointed by what I have seen and experienced at this company. I don't hold out a whole lot of hope for it to change in a meaningful way. There is a lot of incompetency and jealousy within the rank and file and it's not a place where I can see myself spending much more time. For a company that carries an outward appearance of seeming to be so perfect and put together, there are a lot of skeletons in the closet. Age discrimination seems to be a huge problem at this company; if you are over 30, you may have a difficult time unless you have a sponsor. This company really caters to the youth.

anony_moose

I would encourage women to advocate for their compensation and advancement. I would also advocate for more education on unconscious bias and more efforts to improve diversity and inclusion.

It really depends on your role. I personally have a lot of flexibility but the teams I work with do not.

Leader

Human Resources

You are empowered to share your ideas and there is true collaboration.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

On the surface, they appear to be very female friendly. It's not until you are with them for awhile that you realize all the 'girl power' talk is just that; talk.

Scheduling is not conducive to anyone wanting to have a life outside the company, despite them preaching a "work/life balance."

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Would recommend apple to other women but they have some work to do in their leadership

peacefulcreativity

It's a dog eat dog place and you must make your voice heard. It's male dominated and you'll run into a lot of complex personalities. It's not for the faint of heart.

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

Maybe. It's entirely dependent on where you work.

mview

Great place for a woman who wants to be an IC and has no other responsibilities or aspirations outside of work.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. I don't see many women being promoted to leadership roles.