#7
3.9

Amazing opportunity to work with individuals who are star players

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Depends what type of a role someone is interested in

AppleSux

Software Engineer

Engineering

Apple's claims that they value diversity are PR only and their numbers must be inflated by including Apple Store employees. In my division at Apple there is one woman on each team of ~20-30 people. There is no training for employees about diversity, or unconscious bias - which goes a long way to explaining their failure to hire any women. I've had to endure humiliating comments from my workmates about my hair and clothes. I'm tasked with menial and uninteresting work despite having a PhD and 10 years of work experience, complaints to my manager about my inconsistent workload go nowhere and I've had to watch male colleagues straight out of grad school get promoted ahead of me. The company Christmas party featured a scavenger hunt where one of the tasks was to line up 4 women in red dresses and take a photo. Another task was to "smear a man's face with lipstick" and photograph it. Women are viewed as objects of curiosity here and not seen as equals. HR organize a "diversity bash" to celebrate Apple's diversity. The clumsy title of this event conveys how interested Apple HR are in making this a better place to work. Stay away, it's not worth it.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

While Apple has good intention on the family-friendly and treating women & men equally, but it often does not happen at first level managers level.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Depends on the group and manager

clevervgirl

I would say that your experience here can vary widely depending on your particular area. I work in a group where I am respected and considered a leader. I believe my pay is on par with my male counterparts, and my work is valued. I have been in other groups where this is not exactly the case, and I know of other women in my area (and in other groups) who are living another experience. Be sure to speak up for yourself, build a support system in other groups and have the confidence to toot your own horn. Without the ability to self-promote, you can find yourself left behind.

Starlight

Overall Apple is a pretty decent place to work - the good times outweigh the bad in the 13 years I've been here. I've worked at some truly attrocious places and comparitively, this place is a dream palace, but it has issues and I will not overlook those. If you come to work here, be prepared to fight for what you deserve and don't back down.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Different departments experience different levels of equality and sometimes it depends totally on the management. I've had great experiences and was treated well with seemingly decent pay. Though the latter is debatable after seeing my husband go through the same groups I did, a few years after I did, while getting raises 4% higher than my highest raises with exceeding expectations on every review. There are managers within Apple who are very misogynistic and are also high up in the chain of command. It's either difficult to get rid of people like this or they don’t try very hard unfortunately. One such manager asked my husband, who also works for Apple as a manager, if he married “above his pay grade”. Not only is this question wholly inappropriate and very good ole boy network style, but it's as if my looks are more important than anything else about me. This same higher manager has discriminated against women and gay men in his group and women in particular have had to be removed to other areas of the company and he is still somehow in charge of an entire group. Disgusting. In my current area, there are few women and for a long time I was one of two. My pay is lower than nearly everyone else I have been working with (all guys at the time) including new people to the team who were hired four years after me. I now make what the new people being hired to the team make five years later, while people hired one year after me are making literally tens of thousands more than me. Going to HR would result in intimidation from the higher bosses of this area and I need my job. Moving jobs is not an option at the moment though I've been looking. I've been called hostile for being passionate about things, told I talk too much, I’m too quirky to speak in meetings that I lead, aggressive, bitchy, and that I shouldn’t complain when I’m being mansplained - all the feminist tropes. The mansplaining complaint was put through management and passed along to the employee doing it most egregiously. He then mansplained on my review how I should be open to being mansplained and shouldn’t take it as an offense. Also, I’m not the mom type while at work and since I'm a mom at home that is looked down upon. I work with grown ass men, they can make their own cookies and take care of themselves.

Expert

The quality of fairness in promotion and compensation varies from store to store, but largely you won't find women in the higher to highest levels of leadership.

Madame Ovary

Good place to be a woman, and getting better, expecially in top leaership postions

techyfixergal

Engineering

Tech can be tough for women....Apple is no exception - being reprimanded for tone or coming across too strongly is too frequent - male counterparts do not have this lens to work under

• Recent Bonus (USD)

The culture is very unique - some areas (outside of Engineering and Operations) may lean more toward gender neutrality - would advise to consider position, reporting structure and initial compensation and RSU upfront and negotiate firmly

competency and proficiency in roles is not always number one requirement - this can lead to frustration for the competent - who may then be seen as problematic- alliances are called out as critical - though until you have established them and "assimilated" your view may be seen as confrontational

Cuddles

Senior Mac Expert

Customer Service

The flexibility is good but the pay is not a living wage for someone who is single or has a family.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

The pay is not a living wage.

Nothing

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at Apple in the past year?

say gotten better