Carnegie Mellon University

Someone54321

It would be hard to work as a research assistant and also have a family. I did not have one, and the work was all-consuming.

• Flexibility of the employer

Stressful job

The hours can be flexible depending on your boss. There are not enough women in higher positions.

Lady OOFanon

I've worked here for two years. I've had a number of encounters where faculty members have made grossly inappropriate comments about my appearance and personal life including being told that "you look puffy and unpleasant". There is a faculty member that feels it's appropriate to literally throw things at me (pens, flash drives, etc). I brought these up to my immediate supervisor and nothing was ever said to the people in question. There is zero respect for towards the admin staff and emeritus faculty are the worst offenders. All upper level management within my department are older, white males who have been here for decades and refuse to train new employees (I'm still new after 2 years) in additional skills/programs that would even give them the possibility to move up or on. At present time there is zero ladder for me to even attempt to climb meaning if I wanted to stay here I would be subjected to this treatment until faculty I serve decide to retire with no hope of a raise beyond university wide minimums which are typically less than 2% annually

• Recent Bonus (USD)

I've been told by other colleagues that my issues are mostly department related and less the University as a whole but I don't think it's necessarily the case

Computing Services

Maternity leave is the bare minimum, unless you are faculty. In general the highest tiers of management are white men, but there are a lot of women managers in middle management, but few minorities. As near as I can tell, though, female managers do tend to be paid less than their male counterparts. It can also sometimes be difficult to be heard as a woman.

Lady lowburr

as a student i felt respected, hard to compare since i haven't been in too many compromising or difficult situations. i would say however the majority of my professors have been male.

Madam chemecalvin

Lab Assistant

Chemical Engineering

The support for women is a mixed bag here. Many of the female professors are out to prove something and are unsupportive of anyone, especially other women, without the same intensity. However, I have found a wonderful supportive experience with women on staff and in administrative positions.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Women Review Carnegie Mellon University for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Carnegie Mellon University by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 6 reviews Company Website Someone54321 anon2691 Lady OOFanon Lady anon409 Lady lowburr Madam chemecalvin