Sr. Application Analyst

IT

GEICO hires pleasant people who value stability, work/life balance, diversity (race, age, gender, etc), leadership development programs, and opportunities for internal promotion and career growth. However, the GEICO headquarters office is outdated and not equipped to support employees who work in different offices. GEICO also has outdated HR policies (such as hair drug requirement for new hires, sick leave policy, "pilot" remote day program, etc). It's confusing that the GEICO business and IT management doesn't work together. I also get concerned that there's too many GEICO management team members who only know how to manage within GEICO, and don't have diversity of thought from other industry/organization experiences.

At GEICO Headquarters, we respect office core hours from 9am-3pm. If you want to work earlier/later, then you have the flexibility to do so. We continue to operate on a "pilot" program of allowing some associates to work remotely 1x a week -- but it requires associate sharing everything they did for the day with their boss. I would like more flexibility and GEICO's trust that employees are productive on their remote days.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Maybe. GEICO's work culture really depends on what you're looking for. Great place for stability, work/life balance, annual bonus, and stock options through Berkshire Hathaways. but there are a lot of outdated HR policies (e.g., hair drug test requirement, sick leave,

Underwriter II

Finance

The job is a rotational employer. Some come and some go

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

After 20 yrs of employment when I explain I’m being sexually attacked that I’m believed instead of saying I don’t think anyone would do that

Get ready to rumble, it is a challenge, dont give up.

GEICO has a no telecommuting policy, very strict attendance policies, and zero paid maternity leave (I had two children whilst there and had to use all of my saved vacation time first, then I went on leave without pay; this then means no paid vacation days after your back until you accrue again). It's an environment filled with negative vibes and people.

Na

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

If you check all the boxes and follow their rules you will get promoted- but it is easier if you don't have a family or are not trying to start one.

I have not yet but the fact that is such a poor policy has greatly affected my timeline for having children. I keep waiting it out hoping that it will get with the times and become a more competitive employer.

Maybe. Merit based company so there are levels of advancement for women and transparent pay. But- very poor maternity and paternity policies, especially if you both work for the company. Poor vacation/sick and work-life balance benefits. Because they are open 24/7 (including holidays) they don't compensate for the amount of vacation time an associate who may work nights or weekends may need to use to maintain proper work/life balance. The work/life balance considerations are purely that there are 1st, 2nd, 3rd shifts nothing more.

It's a standard US job that must offer federal and state benefits but does not go above and beyond that at all.

Because my husband and I work at the same company, we only qualify for 12 weeks unpaid FMLA combined. He took 2 weeks of vacation to bond.

Maybe. It's a standard US job, but I would not recommend it as more and more US companies offer parental leave. GEICO offers the minimum benefits required by federal and state law.

Senior management takes male analysts to go golfing and it's very much a boy's club. The way to get promoted is to get in with the higher up male managers but they don't include women, or take them seriously. My director would rate female coworkers by their breast size on golf outings with other male coworkers.

Maybe. If you're not looking for a challenge and just want to collect a paycheck then yes.

Attorney

Legal

The only paid portion of your leave is any accrued sick and vacation time. You MUST use the accrued time. Upon returning to work you have zero vacation and zero sick time. It take 6 weeks to accrue 1 vacation day. Also, it's 8 weeks leave for vaginal birth 12 weeks for cesarian. It's an ok place to work only because of the hours and possible flex hours but they are very big on punching the clock. They value how strictly their requirements are followed over the quality of the work. They prefer robots.

Maybe. Benefits and hours are good but work isn't challenging and pay is subpar.

Service/Internet

I work at the fredericksburg, VA. location. Its so hard to adjust/change your shift. I have tried numerous times, and my boss wouldn't let me. They told me it was my performance. I later found out other people were given the opportunity to change shifts, whose numbers were well below mine. One had his shift change because of his dog! FAVORTISM rules here! We did have a female vp and female managers. Almost all were replaced by men. The new male VP doest even talk to you, unless you are a manager. He will walk right by you without uttering a word. A simple greeting like "Hello or Good Morning" would be nice.