"GEICO hires pleasant people who value stability, work/life balance, diversity (race, age, gender, etc), leadership development programs, and opportunities for internal promotion and career growth. However, the GEICO headquarters office is outdated and not equipped to support employees who work in different offices. GEICO also has outdated HR policies (such as hair drug requirement for new hires, sick leave policy, "pilot" remote day program, etc). It's confusing that the GEICO business and IT management doesn't work together. I also get concerned that there's too many GEICO management team members who only know how to manage within GEICO, and don't have diversity of thought from other industry/organization experiences."
Sr. Application Analyst, IT
"At GEICO Headquarters, we respect office core hours from 9am-3pm. If you want to work earlier/later, then you have the flexibility to do so. We continue to operate on a "pilot" program of allowing some associates to work remotely 1x a week -- but it requires associate sharing everything they did for the day with their boss. I would like more flexibility and GEICO's trust that employees are productive on their remote days."
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"GEICO's work culture really depends on what you're looking for. Great place for stability, work/life balance, annual bonus, and stock options through Berkshire Hathaways. but there are a lot of outdated HR policies (e.g., hair drug test requirement, sick leave, "
"The job is a rotational employer. Some come and some go"
"not sure"
One thing Geico can improve?
"After 20 yrs of employment when I explain I’m being sexually attacked that I’m believed instead of saying I don’t think anyone would do that "
Underwriter II, Finance
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"Get ready to rumble, it is a challenge, dont give up. "
One thing Geico can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"GEICO has a no telecommuting policy, very strict attendance policies, and zero paid maternity leave (I had two children whilst there and had to use all of my saved vacation time first, then I went on leave without pay; this then means no paid vacation days after your back until you accrue again). It's an environment filled with negative vibes and people. "
"Na"
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"If you check all the boxes and follow their rules you will get promoted- but it is easier if you don't have a family or are not trying to start one."
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit facetime)"
"I have not yet but the fact that is such a poor policy has greatly affected my timeline for having children. I keep waiting it out hoping that it will get with the times and become a more competitive employer."
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"Merit based company so there are levels of advancement for women and transparent pay. But- very poor maternity and paternity policies, especially if you both work for the company. Poor vacation/sick and work-life balance benefits. Because they are open 24/7 (including holidays) they don't compensate for the amount of vacation time an associate who may work nights or weekends may need to use to maintain proper work/life balance. The work/life balance considerations are purely that there are 1st, 2nd, 3rd shifts nothing more."
"It's a standard US job that must offer federal and state benefits but does not go above and beyond that at all."
One thing Geico can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
"Because my husband and I work at the same company, we only qualify for 12 weeks unpaid FMLA combined. He took 2 weeks of vacation to bond."
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"It's a standard US job, but I would not recommend it as more and more US companies offer parental leave. GEICO offers the minimum benefits required by federal and state law."
"Senior management takes male analysts to go golfing and it's very much a boy's club. The way to get promoted is to get in with the higher up male managers but they don't include women, or take them seriously. My director would rate female coworkers by their breast size on golf outings with other male coworkers."
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"If you're not looking for a challenge and just want to collect a paycheck then yes."
"The only paid portion of your leave is any accrued sick and vacation time. You MUST use the accrued time. Upon returning to work you have zero vacation and zero sick time. It take 6 weeks to accrue 1 vacation day. Also, it's 8 weeks leave for vaginal birth 12 weeks for cesarian. It's an ok place to work only because of the hours and possible flex hours but they are very big on punching the clock. They value how strictly their requirements are followed over the quality of the work. They prefer robots."
Attorney, Legal
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"Benefits and hours are good but work isn't challenging and pay is subpar."
"I work at the fredericksburg, VA. location. Its so hard to adjust/change your shift. I have tried numerous times, and my boss wouldn't let me. They told me it was my performance. I later found out other people were given the opportunity to change shifts, whose numbers were well below mine. One had his shift change because of his dog! FAVORTISM rules here! We did have a female vp and female managers. Almost all were replaced by men. The new male VP doest even talk to you, unless you are a manager. He will walk right by you without uttering a word. A simple greeting like "Hello or Good Morning" would be nice."
N/A, Service/Internet
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"if you are energetic and willing to play the game and work very hard you will go far....it is not for the sensitive type"
agent, service
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"Terrible when it comes to maternity leave."
Supervisor, Claims
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"Depends on the stage of their life that they are in."
"Be prepared to be a competitor, if you're not comfortable working in a fast pace environment, performance-base in order to be promoted, meeting margins and so forth then this is not for you."
CLAIMS REP, CLAIMS
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"woman are not treated same as men. men who don't know how to manage their way out of a paperbag are promoted over women who are more qualified THERE IS NO FLEXING OF HOURS"
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"I absolutely love my job. I recently began work at GEICO, and my position pays great, I have excellent benefits, and my Supervisors as well as coaches are fabulous people to work for. As with any job there are certain people in the workforce that are just simply difficult to deal with because of their types of attitude and leadership styles but I have not really felt that this has occurred as of yet in my employment. Everyone I have met has been amazing, and I feel that I get just as much praise and inclusion in the workforce as the males do in my same position. Management roles are mixed between male and female and I do not feel there is an overwhelming number of men in management when compared to women. This is a great place to work and the environment is definitely supportive of growth and potential so long as you put in the work."
SALES, MOAT
"?"
N/A, claims
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"They do not offer short term disability - so there is no maternity leave benefits. In many areas its male dominated and there is very little work life balance offered (no alternate work schedules, work from home, etc)."
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"If you don't want/have children"
"good company"
Claims, Claims
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"The good thing about this company is that it does seem to provide the same opportunities for hard working individuals regardless of gender. That being said, the company is severely understaffed when it comes to its claims departments. I have worked in several claims related departments, and in every department I was in, staffing was an issue. With such a large, market predominant company, one would think that they would place a higher priority on getting adequately staffed to boost morale for tenured employees. Many people burnout after awhile because the goals and expectations are unrealistic considering the staffing issues. Good benefits to include paid vacation, 401k (no dollar for dollar matching, though), disability, life insurance, vision, FSA, etc. Not conducive to family oriented individuals - expect long hours and even weekends as a regular occurrence. IF you have children and work on a desk, you will be drained to come home and help them with homework and probably won't have energy to make dinner from scratch. Sick leave is a joke. Sick leave is tied into your dependability score, which is a part of your rating as an associate. If you have poor dependability, it can be grounds for termination. To use sick leave, without being penalized, it needs to meet FMLA guidelines (e.g., a recurrent serious medical condition, pregnancy, etc). Average colds and flus are NOT covered under FMLA, and being that GEICO is a cubicle environment, people who are afraid of their dependability being impacted will come in to the office and expose others to their cold/flu. For those that do not take sick leave and have good dependability, there is no reward other than being able to keep your job. You are not able to cash out your sick or use it for vacation. even if it does qualify for FMLA coverage, you are only allowed 12 weeks of FMLA leave per year, even if you have multiple fmla related incidents come up (let's say you were pregnant, plus had diabetes, or migraines and they each required time off at different times). The sick leave requirements were one of the most complained about issues throughout the company, and has been for years, but no changes."
Liability Examiner, Claims
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"If you don't have a family and aren't a claims examiner (e.g., you are a gated customer service rep), it may be ok. High stress, long hours, and if you have a family, don't expect to be home helping kids with homework and making dinner from scratch. Mentally exhausting and understaffed across regions."
"I have worked there for 2.5 years and started training with a class of almost all women have had both male and female supervisors it is overall a very supportive work environment"
N/A, Service
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"A lot of women working here. Never really seen any get to management and those that do usually end up going somewhere else."
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"woman can be a supr., but you have to be willing to lie in court for them. when upper management targets an employee, its your job to pick them apart. woman donot reach upper management often.- 20 years+ experience.."
TA1, claims
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"If you planning on being a working parent, make sure your kids have a good childcare system or you and the other parent function well as a team. I hardly see my daughter except for my days off. I leave her early in the morning and I'm home late at night. Maternity leave is something only the lack of knowledge ones care about, You have to use all of your sick leave and vacation. And what you don't have left to cover is, well unpaid. They could do better by this. I have even considered leaving this company due to maternity leave. They could offer better programs for mothers and fathers. Even programs for advancement. Everyone has to follow the same course and that course may not be what an individual wants to do but in order for them to succeed, they may advance off topic to get to where they want to go. How does that improve your skill set? Sometimes it's just a paycheck."
Service Agent III, Service
"Depends!!!"
"This is for women and men also. Age is a major factor at Geico. This just happened over the last 5 or so years. You are great until you start to slow down because of your age. Once you do, it's out the door you go. I inquired to a manager one time why Geico never hires older workers and was told because they are not applying. With respect I said I did not believe that. That was the end of the conversation. We were told if we did not have a degree or working on a degree we would never be able to advance. I know of a situation when about 12 older employees in just my department all at one time were forced to take early retirement, resign, or be terminated. It is such a shame that companies do this to the older workforce who many times have dedicated their best years to the company. Geico use to be the best company in the world to work for then it was like they turned on you. My career was cut short due to my age and I will always resent it. Shame on you Geico and all companies that practice age discrimination."
Senior Property & Casualty Agent, Customer Service
Would you recommend Geico to other women?
"Only if young and degreed or persuing degree"
"From what I've seen so far, there is a pretty good mix of genders in all levels, from entry level to management."