Events Lead

Design

I am working here for the past 14 years. I learnt thru various opportunities but am not able to get ahead as fast as I would like to. Also not making as much money i should be.

Maybe. Depends on the job you want. Not a very good paying company

Find a mentor! Make sure you network and have several mentors. Make sure you invest time in upgrading and maintaining your skill sets. Do not trust what the company tells you. Upper management seems to be getting it but the middle management that has only worked for IBM is clueless. They are trying to move from a corporate company to a tech one and having difficulty. They keep wanting their employees to do more with less not realizing that by denying engineers the basics they need they is the equivalent of expecting them to swim after tying their legs and hands together and throwing them in the sea.

Maybe. Depends upon the salary negotiated upfront and your individual boss.

Director

STG

I was an external hire into a Level D (Executive) position. I was placed on a project with all male executives and everyone was very nice at first and all seem very normal. What I did not expect was the level of dishonesty and distrust that was systemic across the executive VPs. My male colleagues did not like working with females and constantly had negative comments about Ginni Rommety the CEO. I left IBM after three years and was traumatized by the mental abuse that I experienced by my direct supervisor. My advise to other women executives that are thinking about joining IBM...Think twice before stepping on the Titanic and taking a ride. All that appears in the interview process does not reflect what is behind the curtain.

Program Manager

WW Sales

IBM is a mixed bag. It's a very large company, so some organizations are great places for women and some not so much. The company is committed to fair treatment, but in practice there is still quite a bit of subtle sexism toward women.

Maybe. Depends on the job and the organization

Recruiting Program Manager

Public

Don't be afraid to ask

SAP FICO

GBS

I worked here for 5 years and wish I hadn't stressed so much about my maternity leave. my team was supportive.

I've been with this company for over 30 years and have seen its glory days as well as been through its worst times. The company has become one to put on your resume but depend on where you enter in and who you know - don't expect much career wise.

Advisory Software Engineer

I have worked for IBM for 28 years. I could have accepted a job anywhere, but I was promised "full employment" and "respect for the individual." We were told "family first, then God, then work." My how things have changed. I pay $1400/mo. for benefits that have high deductibles and co-pays ... management does not care about their employees anymore .. the future is bleak. I have to say, the first 20 years were pretty great .. management was very supportive of me being a working Mom. When our department got downsized, I was forced to move to a new area. It is a sweatshop. Management does not care about their employees, or give any appreciation for all of the hard work that is done. (I'm not talking monetary bonus, I'm talking "good job.") .... I plan to start looking for another job .. I'm just too miserable here

I have worked here for many years. I have had wonderful leaders that value my contribution. Any health or personal issue has never been a problem to take time off. There are many options for work/life balance and the leaders will work with you to help you.

Assistant

Global Administration

I was an IBMer for almost 25 years before I was resourced - IBM's term for laid off. Employees who were on the 'old plan' and over the age of 55 are the ones being targeted. Administrative assistants in particular, with the possible exception of Band 5 assistants, are skating on thin ice with regards to how much longer IBM will keep them employed before having someone in Malaysia or Costa Rica take over providing their clients with support. On the positive side, the first 21 years of my career were filled with many learning opportunities across multiple functions within the IBM corporation.

Maybe. For a role other than an assistant, IBM might be worth recommending. As for administrative assistants - no way. IBM is having more and more of it's support services (including it's Help Desk) come out of countries like India, Malaysia, and Costa Rica as opposed to the US.