It's like going back in time 50 years, I imagine. Great resource for comprehending the "Dark Old Days." :/

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Improve both compensation AND benefits, but mostly simply insure that weekly hours are available. That is currently not the case, and I find myself scheduled for FOUR (4) hours next week!

Maybe. While there seems to be equity in pay and promotion (many of our leadership positions are held by women,) the middle tier of management is populated by men. There is, among the entry/middle-management positions, a VERY dominant "old-school" misogynist culture, at least at the location I am at, and still a "label her a Trouble-maker" practice for anyone who voices objections. Coupled with deceptive statements about compensation (great benefits, but very few part-time workers actually qualify for them) I could only recommend that positions of higher management might be rewarding- where true compensation and the ability to affect change would bring satisfaction.

IT

Understand that being a peak performer won't help you. If you are financially rewarded for being one of the best, you'll become targeted for downsizing for being too highly compensated.

In the offices, working from home was gaining acceptability. Start times were flexible based on individual requirements (taking the kids to school).

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Since the large downsizing last year, the morale isn't very good in the offices. Re-establishing trust would go a long way. Not expecting those that are left to pick up the work left by the downsizing would also help.

Maybe. Meijer is a supercenter, so there are retail positions (200+ stores and corporate positions. Retail supervision and store directors are primarily male and the culture is pretty autocratic. The corporate environment is much better, but due to recent executive changes, each area is handled differently; some I couldn't recommend.

Must be more dedicated to work than family, you need to be flexible.

Not for Hiring

Customer Service

Plan on investing a full time status on achieving hours weekly.

Consistent hours weekly and focusing on eliminating employees that hurt the function of company growth by not doing their assigned job.

Marketing

There are a lot of women working at Meijer in most of the departments at headquarters and they are working in all levels of the company. That being said, it is not what I would call a "supportive environment". Meijer is old school and regardless of the prevalence of women, still has that "Boys Club" vibe. My greatest advice is to seek out mentors actively and ask for specific examples when you're given feedback. Too often feedback will come in the form of "there's a perception issue" without context or how to improve. If you act as your biggest advocate and take control of your destiny you can succeed here, but there will be men that treat you like a PA or will take credit for your ideas if you let them.

Maybe. The thing about Meijer is that it completely depends on the department on how you're treated. I don't think the company as a whole is misogynistic, but it is very insular and there are several male managers that will treat you unfairly, will take credit for your ideas, and will be rewarded for them.

Bagger

Customer Service

I was sexually harassed I was overworked I was the only girl who went out when it was raining or snowing to pushcarts because people were too much of sissies to do so and not a single manager actually forced other people going do with their job says to do I was also one of the only people who ended up cleaning up the nastiest things in the bathroom the boys got to do whatever the hell they wanted they pretty much played on their phones and walk stuff from the front to the back and put stuff back away that was sitting in the aisles the registers