Merck & Co., Inc.

"There are flexible options, but be prepared to work like a dog and make up for flex time on off days or at night. "
One thing Merck & Co., Inc. can improve?
Would you recommend Merck & Co., Inc. to other women?
"It would depend on the department. Every department is different. "
"Worked here for over 15 years in different roles and different areas of the country. Women working in HQ have access to many more options than those in field sales, for example: onsite childcare options. Women are treated fairly, but senior leadership is male-dominated, so much so, that the company has recently made a public declaration to diversify senior leadership, with a target of developing women and minorities for leadership positions."
N/A, Sales
Would you recommend Merck & Co., Inc. to other women?
"I've worked at Merck for over 10 years now. I've consistently been told, since the beginning, by colleagues that Merck was never this way before--its gotten progressively worse. I work in IT, so there is probably 1 woman to every 10-12 men, and there are very few women in management roles. Merger, downsizing, and outsourcing have all taken their toll. Peter Pan syndrome is rampant, and a good many of IT leaders have been put into people management roles they are not well-suited for. A colleague recently said 'we are a rudderless ship' of our smaller organization and I would have to agree."
Sr. Specialist, IT
Would you recommend Merck & Co., Inc. to other women?
"Depends on field, situation. Some areas promote advancement for women."
"I believe women are not earning on par the same salary as their male Counterparts for the same work ."
Executive sales representative, Sales
Would you recommend Merck & Co., Inc. to other women?
"Old School white male culture that even African American leadership has assimilated to continue with no progress for woman. If you are AA male you can lead but about the only minority that succeeds in the higer ranks. Backsliding and lack of vision on goals to raise woman in the ranks. Poor talent management for all regardless of race, gender etc. Good old boy system. Huge talent drain w merge and downsizing. Unable to attract top talent. New leader want to hire mellenials only and age discrimination is rampant."
Director, Medical Affairs
Would you recommend Merck & Co., Inc. to other women?
"I have worked here for over 20 years.. There is a great deal of diversity in the technical staff. This is in contrast to management, that is white-male dominated. Increasingly,I find myself as the only woman at a meeting or on a team. I never thought that it would make me uncomfortable, but it does. There is not a supportive environment of women leaders to serve as mentors. This is the result of women leaving the organization, both voluntarily and involuntarily. The voluntary departures are most disturbing. The This lack of diversity has been noted by company leadership. There are initiatives that are trying to address this, but they are reactionary and I fear are not taken seriously."
Scientist, Discovery Research