Lady Director

Director

I've worked here for 27+ years. First day to first 23 or so were wonderful. After that when I didn't want to move up within the organization things started to turn 'blah' where it wasn't ok to not want to increase level and responsibility. In addition it became very male centric where as a woman I was overlooked for my contributions. Pay attention and pick a part of the organization where women are appreciate and in senior leadership positions.

Lady LadyBoss

Lead Program Manager

Make it a point to network and stay well-connected to senior individuals within your team, as well as folks across your organization and the larger company.

Madam anon38

Marketing and Operations Director

Marketing

Be open and appreciate all the benefits you have!. focus on what you can control there are things that are corporate rules that you cannot change, focus only on what you can change

Lady Vegas

Start networking immediately, build relationships by meeting and helping others, they will help you in return.

Lady Hilarity

Marketing

I wish I believed in myself more. I wish that I had used those airline miles to take my husband with me before the kids were born.

Lady Glad

PM

Surface

Be Open

Lady privateone

Like many others, I worked early on as contingent staff for a number of years before joining as an FTE. The group I finally joined was fun, innovative, took risks and had a lot of integrity. We weren't doing brain surgery but everyone worked very hard as a team. I knew at the outset being a woman was a problem as I was hired at $10K less than a male counterpart with equal experience -- actually less in the area we were hired. But I liked my boss (salary was his bosses mandate) and I decided to take the job. I never ever cried except once at work about 4 months before I resigned and it was at 10pm at night and I was alone in my office. Over the years I created a suit of armor to deal with the increasingly hostile environment. I find now after leaving that after many months I am crying all of the time. I had just turned off my emotions to deal with all of the stress, abuse and intolerance. Recently MS has laid off pretty much everyone in IT over 40 and all of the women they could possibly get rid of. They do this under the guise of RIFF which is crap. They are cleaning house to get rid of the old people. I can find many of my friends jobs now on the job boards everywhere. And the executives continue to sit in front of Congress and the Senate talking about how there aren't enough qualified people and how they need more H1Bs. Don't make me laugh. The many good years I had I remember with joy but the company now isn't a very nice place. Suffice it to say the comment Nadella made at the women's conference wasn't him misspeaking.

Madam cube

Software Engineer

Be more vocal about what you want and if the tasks you are given align with your career goals. If you are not happy with the team, MOVE to another team before your morale gets beat down and it starts hurting your reviews. It is now getting easier to change teams and there is no requirement to stay for any amount of time. I have seen that people don't always start with the right team, but now you have the power to move to another team.

Lady Alta

Chief of Staff

Engineering

Take the time to observe, listen and get a sense of the culture but not too much time - give yourself 90 days. Read the Harvard Press book my first 90 days so you can develop an effective plan and hit the ground running and get some quick wins under your belt. Find a mentor or two - build a peer network of go to women you can count on. Invest in people and build a strong network and learn how to collaborate well with others while driving results.

Lady Max

The work will come... don't worry if you don't have enough in the first 3 months, it will soon be overwhelming.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at Microsoft in the past year?

say gotten better

say gotten worse

say the same

Women Review Microsoft for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Microsoft by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 214 reviews Company Website Lady Director Lady LadyBoss Madam anon38 Lady Vegas Lady Hilarity Lady Glad Lady privateone Madam cube Lady Alta Lady Max