Lady Art Senior Marketing Manager, Marketing

I worked here for 10 years in Finance as well as Marketing. I never saw women treated differently than men. I had my first kid 3 years after joining and enjoyed a flexible work culture, excellent maternity leave (12 weeks paid and 8 weeks unpaid and you can take it all together) that accomodates the needs of parents. I had 2 kids while at Microsoft. There is politics in the company but not a bias against women. So you need to know how to build relationships with senior managers men or women (had plenty of women in my many of my teams always).

Fibro Girl

I'd tell myself to ask as many questions as possible whenever I didn't know what to do. It not only helps you learn, but sometimes it informs higher ups that a project is bigger than they imagined and not something for a newbie to get. Also, expect to be challenged constantly- managers can be a little forceful in questioning your decisions, which is not the greatest situation for an introvert. To other women, you may get put into a team off the bat that you don't mesh with. It's generally considered poor manners to switch teams mid-release, but once the product is off for production, you can shop around. Use the time before you can switch to network and get to know about how other teams work. Try to build a relationship with the person that'd be your manager. That way, when it's time for a reorg, you'll have an idea of how other teams work, or if the team you thought you'd join is discontinued, you'll know to ask the old manager where he or she is going. If you like your management, try to stick with them through team changes. While having an interest in the team's goals is important, enjoying being around your coworkers can really make or break your experience.

Lady Gooch Advertising and Online

Grab every opportunity for training--it's at your fingertips.

Madam anon41 Lead Program Manager

Don't underestimate yourself. Negotiate your salary. Men tend to do this better.

Lady Spock

Do not always be a team player - sometimes you need to look out for yourself.

Lady Evergreen SMSG

Seek out opportunities to work on high visibility projects and/or projects that will give you access to senior management. These relationships are very important for performance review season and networking down the road.

Lady Rubyroo Group Program Manager

trust your instincts and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Monkey Girl Admin, Marketing

Believe in your worth and negotiate a higher starting wage. It will compound over the years

JoJo Girl

It's hard to sort out how to advance your career or level (compensation), even as a top performer.

WhyNot Girl

The internal women's community is strong so don't judge on what you read in the media. Microsoft is a great place for women to thrive, innovate and change the world.

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at Microsoft in the past year?

• 0%

say gotten better

• 0%

say gotten worse

• 100%

say the same

Women Review Microsoft for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Microsoft by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.6 stars, based on 210 reviews Company Website Lady Art Fibro Girl Lady Gooch Madam anon41 Lady Spock Lady Evergreen Lady Rubyroo Monkey Girl JoJo Girl WhyNot Girl