Garbonz Girl

Business Program Manager Group Manager

IT

I have worked at the company for almost 25 years and have enjoyed a variety of roles and different orgs - every role and group has so many different opportunities. As a female employee and manager I have never felt limited, judged or held back. Competition is challenging, the modified review system is much better but as a manager I don't feel like I have complete control of rewards for me team.

Madam Coder

Software Engineer

It is not my gender that makes me feel different - it is being single, childless, and American. I assume any single, childless, American male would feel the same. This is a very good place to work. Keep in mind, though, that experience can vary wildly between teams. That being said, my experience has been great.

Lady Macbeth

Sr. Software Engineer

Speak up else you will be stepped over/talked over and overlooked. You have to adopt Men-like behaviors to be successful here.

Madam Madison

Program Manager

The flex time opportunities are great. As a single mother of a small child, it was hard for me to work regular hours. All managers I've had of me working when it makes sense for me.

Lady Softie

PM

DevDiv

I've worked at MSFT for 12+ years and through two kids. They are not very supportive of part-time work, but typically supportive of other flex options. the environment in each division/group can be really different. I highly recommend DevDiv, the developer division whose focus is on developer tools. I would stay away from Xbox unless you are a work-aholic gamer. I don't think that group is very family friendly.

CuriousCat Girl

PM

The company is really good when it comes to diversity, work-life balance as well as opportunities.

Super Girl

Windows

I've worked here for several years and have seen a good balance of both male and female managers with both being very supportive and treating everyone equally. Being in the engineering side of things I've always been used to being the only, or one of the very few females in the room/team and that's true as well but definitely improves when you happen to be with a female manager.

Kiki Girl

Good benefits and culture for families in general, even though the particular experience depends on the particular team/department

Operating Systems Group

I have worked here for almost 2 years. As a whole, Microsoft doesn't do a great job supporting college hires integrate into the larger Microsoft community. However, Microsoft has many tools, trainings and employee resource networks in place to guide current employees in their career growth, so if you are resourceful, can handle the soul-crushing reality of office politics,and are comfortable being the only women and/or only under-represented minority on your team(and how that plays out in a patriarchal capitalist white supremacist institution)...then you may succeed here. However, the importance of having a manager who is your advocate and willing to help you grow cannot be stressed enough!!! If you don't feel like your manager (your boss's boss) supports your growth and recognizes your value, leave your team ASAP. Build up your credibility by proving your engineering prowess if you are a software engineer/program manager. If you did not graduate with a degree in Computer Science, keep this information to yourself lest you be marked as incompetent or less-experienced. The work/life balance at Microsoft seems more reasonable than other tech giants. Also, last warning...be cautious of the work you sign up for...women have a tendency to be assigned devalued work...be sure that you are very cautious when taking on new assignments.

Explorer Girl

Very flexible to accommodate different work arrangements like part-time, unpaid leave, mat leave. Similar to other companies, building a strong network within the company helps a lot in reaching your career goals.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at Microsoft in the past year?

say gotten better

say gotten worse

say the same

Women Review Microsoft for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Microsoft by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

stars, based on 214 reviews Company Website Garbonz Girl Madam Coder Lady Macbeth Madam Madison Lady Softie CuriousCat Girl Super Girl Kiki Girl Lady anon41 Explorer Girl