"I've been here for over 3 years. You need to have a thick skin and be willing to take risks. I've been in groups of women where they talk about '1000 little papercuts' during their days, but it's not something I've ever experienced. I act like one of the guys, I guess, and so I'm not hyper sensitive like others. I don't feel as if I have ever been judged negatively because of my gender. Engineer4Fun"
Would you recommend Microsoft to other women?
"MSFT has been through a lot of change since I left but historically, it has a very type A, competitive culture. Every group is unique though. Be sure you enjoy networking and internally PRing yourself. These are important traits in addition to being functionally good at your job at MSFT."
N/A, Marketing
Would you recommend Microsoft to other women?
"I've been at Microsoft for about 2 and half years as a junior/mid-level employee. Outside of core engineering teams, men and women seem to be treated fairly for the most part. When I say core engineering teams, I mean teams that work on technical features that have broad impact across the company and therefore yield the biggest bonuses. Sometimes you can be in an engineering org but your role may not be a particularly technical. As a woman, the closer you get to core engineering roles and responsibilities that require technical skills, the less women you will see and the more you’ll experience being undermined, sidelined, and discriminated against. Management is apathetic to this issue, mostly because it has never affected any of them. I applaud Katherine Moussouris for calling attention to this issue. It is very real and very pervasive at Microsoft and needs to be addressed."
Would you recommend Microsoft to other women?
"At Microsoft a lot depends on your management chain and team. Some teams very obviously undermine and marginalize women. Other teams are wonderful and inclusive."
"I was reassigned to new team during maternity leave. I was put on performance improvement programming by new team when returned from maternity leave. I resigned before pip. I was calibrated very well before maternity leave."
Would you recommend Microsoft to other women?
"Microsoft cares about women."
Would you recommend Microsoft to other women?
"I've been here for 13 years. Generally women are treated fairly, but like in all tech companies, the management is predominantly non-diverse males and I believe there is an unconscious bias against mothers taking time to tend to family needs, flex time, etc. Benefits in general are great to support a family."
N/A, Finance