#13
3.6

Lady DevilBunny

Attorney

CELA

I'm relatively new but so far it's a very good place to work. The legal department has LOTS of women -- possibly to make up for not having very many on the engineering side.

Lady Farnwell

Like most tech companies, most women are in marketing, HR, administrative roles rather than engineering roles. Some female managers in engineering disciplines came up from the administrative/clerical ranks and harbor biases about how women should act at work vs. how men should act. If your work style is more assertive, technically confident, and quick to speak up, and less apologetic, deferring to men and hesitant, you'll have trouble under these managers. How to identify them? Look for women without solid engineering experience who are running teams. Often seen in technical publications teams, but can exist anywhere. If you are a developer, be prepared to run into men who first assume you're product/marketing, and then program management, before finding out that you're a dev, because female devs exist in significant numbers in such a large company, but are still not common. Some of my best contacts there are people who first assumed I was just an English major helping write product marketing copy, and then found out I had architect-level skills and could offer technical feedback. Among the seriously-old-guard (the 20 years + club), it's a boys club. But most of them aren't in your daily life, so you just let the boys be boys, and get on with your job. That said, much of the company is gender-blind (or at least willing to apologize when called on unconscious bias), and if you can steer clear of the female admin type managers, your skills are likely to be recognized on their merit and you could find yourself with a great opportunity. As in any big company, it is ALL ABOUT POSITIONING. Get on the right project, and you can get attention from people at the VP level and higher, quickly. Get on an ordinary project, and you can make a good living and stay mostly invisible for years.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

If you find a good group, go for it. Many groups are gender-blind.

Madam RHRosePetal

Women can have a vastly different experience depending on the team they are on, and their manager. In my 15+ years, I have had good managers and bad ones and it has made a world of difference in how I am supported and the opportunities I have received.

Lady Leila

Sales

Cloud

Sexist. Ceo is trying to change culture, but hasn't trickled down to middle management

Lady Phoenix2016

The Leader to who I work for, used bad words, even during meetings and also over the phone!! my daughter who was 9 at the time even heard them, during the Company wide required feedback, I provided honest feedback about his bad words, which rather than taking them as an area of opportunity he instead made my life a living hell. I ended up leaving that team in less than a year. He made sure the next manager also gave me horrible time. I ended up losing my job. There were almost no woman in that team.

Program Manager

Pretty good awareness to promote women. More and more women are managers and directors.

Software Engineer

I've worked here straight out of college. Although my engineering team is predominantly women, this is NOT the norm. I see a lot of women coming into engineering roles, which is encouraging. But my management chain, from my direct all the way up to Satya Nadella, are all men. This is the case for most employees at Microsoft.

Lady Blanche

Program Manager

Contract and Revenue Management

Funny... I read the verbatim that the site provides as an example and it was exactly how I feel... I've worked here for years and there are a lot of women working here, but predominantly in support roles. Generally I believe they are treated fairly but management is male-dominated and not diverse, which makes it tougher for women to "network" with them. Mid-level women don't seem to advance because of these subtle issues.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

On paper, yes, very supportive of women in the workforce. In practice, very much a boys' club at the top still. Despite the great flexibility (hours, working remotely), the crazy workload and multiple time zone work means that the job is not very family-friendly. Women don't have the time to network enough to get to the top. Most of the men in management position have stay-at-home wife taking care of the kids.

I have the perfect balance of work and life at Microsoft. I get to work from home, still manage a global role and enjoy my personal life. I really feel Microsoft gives me the best of everything which makes me want to work for them everyday.

Madam Engineer4Fun

I've been here for over 3 years. You need to have a thick skin and be willing to take risks. I've been in groups of women where they talk about '1000 little papercuts' during their days, but it's not something I've ever experienced. I act like one of the guys, I guess, and so I'm not hyper sensitive like others. I don't feel as if I have ever been judged negatively because of my gender. Engineer4Fun

• Recent Bonus (USD)

Have things gotten better, worse, or stayed the same for women at Microsoft in the past year?

say gotten better