#13
3.6

Software Engineer

I've worked here straight out of college. Although my engineering team is predominantly women, this is NOT the norm. I see a lot of women coming into engineering roles, which is encouraging. But my management chain, from my direct all the way up to Satya Nadella, are all men. This is the case for most employees at Microsoft.

Lady Blanche

Program Manager

Contract and Revenue Management

Funny... I read the verbatim that the site provides as an example and it was exactly how I feel... I've worked here for years and there are a lot of women working here, but predominantly in support roles. Generally I believe they are treated fairly but management is male-dominated and not diverse, which makes it tougher for women to "network" with them. Mid-level women don't seem to advance because of these subtle issues.

Maybe. On paper, yes, very supportive of women in the workforce. In practice, very much a boys' club at the top still. Despite the great flexibility (hours, working remotely), the crazy workload and multiple time zone work means that the job is not very family-friendly. Women don't have the time to network enough to get to the top. Most of the men in management position have stay-at-home wife taking care of the kids.

I have the perfect balance of work and life at Microsoft. I get to work from home, still manage a global role and enjoy my personal life. I really feel Microsoft gives me the best of everything which makes me want to work for them everyday.

Madam Engineer4Fun

I've been here for over 3 years. You need to have a thick skin and be willing to take risks. I've been in groups of women where they talk about '1000 little papercuts' during their days, but it's not something I've ever experienced. I act like one of the guys, I guess, and so I'm not hyper sensitive like others. I don't feel as if I have ever been judged negatively because of my gender. Engineer4Fun

Lady wings

Marketing

MSFT has been through a lot of change since I left but historically, it has a very type A, competitive culture. Every group is unique though. Be sure you enjoy networking and internally PRing yourself. These are important traits in addition to being functionally good at your job at MSFT.

Matilda Girl

I've been at Microsoft for about 2 and half years as a junior/mid-level employee. Outside of core engineering teams, men and women seem to be treated fairly for the most part. When I say core engineering teams, I mean teams that work on technical features that have broad impact across the company and therefore yield the biggest bonuses. Sometimes you can be in an engineering org but your role may not be a particularly technical. As a woman, the closer you get to core engineering roles and responsibilities that require technical skills, the less women you will see and the more you’ll experience being undermined, sidelined, and discriminated against. Management is apathetic to this issue, mostly because it has never affected any of them. I applaud Katherine Moussouris for calling attention to this issue. It is very real and very pervasive at Microsoft and needs to be addressed.

Maybe. At Microsoft a lot depends on your management chain and team. Some teams very obviously undermine and marginalize women. Other teams are wonderful and inclusive.

logic Girl

I was reassigned to new team during maternity leave. I was put on performance improvement programming by new team when returned from maternity leave. I resigned before pip. I was calibrated very well before maternity leave.

Lady tart

Microsoft cares about women.

Lady financeguru

Finance

I've been here for 13 years. Generally women are treated fairly, but like in all tech companies, the management is predominantly non-diverse males and I believe there is an unconscious bias against mothers taking time to tend to family needs, flex time, etc. Benefits in general are great to support a family.

Lady Zinnia

I worked here for 3 years in engineering where there were few other women. All of the women were in junior levels, even the ones who were not entry-level and had some years of experience. I did not have any mentors or sponsors, the environment was fairly isolating.

Maybe. It was a good first job to have straight out of school.