• Top rated company current
  • Top rated company 2017
3.6

Lady Pixie

Senior Service Operations Service Engineer

While I was treated better here than at any other company I've worked for, there are still certainly some issues, not least of which is Satya Nadella's comments about women and raises. Almost all of the Admin Assistants are women, and while there are some engineers, devs, testers, etc that are women, you REALLY have to strut your stuff as people will tend to think you should be doing 'softer' work (presentations, admin assistant, marketing, reporting, etc). Show everyone that you're a world class talent though, and you'll get respect in a hurry, and outside of some cultural barriers, you'll find people will back you up pretty strongly.

Maybe. The particular organization you're in within Microsoft has the largest influence on how good your experience will be, or how bad it will be. Re-Orgs can turn a fairytale like environment into a hellish nightmare pretty quick. Keep your finger on the pulse of the org. If people are starting to get stressed, start looking to transfer. If a power vacuum opens up, cutt throat politics WILL ensue, so get somewhere else as fast as you can. When there is stability and cohesion within an org, it shows. When there isn't, it's hell.

Lady Office

Senior Program Manager

Office

I've worked here for 11 years. When I started, I worked for a woman who was formerly the head of a very big group. Looking up in the organization, I saw a few women who were up the management chain (though none other than my boss in my own management chain). Now, there are far fewer, and it isn't clear as to why. On the positive side, the lack of women in leadership has been acknowledged by the top people in my organization, and there is a lot of thought going into what to do and how to change the organization's management from a 40-something-wife-at-home-white boys club like it is now. As for maternity leave, I have found both men and women (and especially men) to be supportive of parental leave. In fact, I've seen male managers be more supportive of taking the full leave (20 weeks) than women managers.

Lady londonlass

I have worked here for 13 years. It's a great place to work depending upon your management. Still very male dominated, but the company is evolving for the better. Great maternity leave options, and flexibility when needed around family.

Lady Director Princess

Its a great company to work for. how women are treated depends on the team you are in , your manager etc. initial pay and level negotiation is key .

Sr. Business Manager

Services

Good benefits for both women and men Opportunities to learn and grow Engineering teams are probably lopsided in leadership with more men in those roles, but people related organizations like Services and Human Resources have a good number of female leaders

Business Manager

Services

I've worked at Microsoft for 10 years and overall, for women, I feel it is a good company. My salary is very fair for my role and I feel I am having an impact in what I do everyday. For a company that is very engineering focused, I think there are still a good number of women in those roles. There are several women in leadership positions as well, however not many of the women leaders are in engineering, mostly services and people management. I've never had a problem being judged for being a woman, needing time off or other related experiences.

Lady j9

Program Manager

ASG

You need a strong sponsor in your group and a manager who is sensitive to unconscious bias

Maybe. Different groups have different culture

Lady WWoman

I've worked here for 6 years and there are a lot of women working here in a range of roles. Generally I believe they are treated fairly, but at times still excluded from "mixing with management". There are can still be people with an us and them mentality.

Lady equalityforall

Senior Marketing Manager

Marketing

I've worked here for 4 years. There are great benefits, maternity leave, and work/life balance. The senior leadership is predominately white males. Men are often promoted over women. The current review structure does not account for gender bias so I would assume that men, on average, receive higher bonuses - although HR would not confirm that when I reached out about it. Lots of talk to press about them investing in women, but do not see that happening internally.

Maybe. Pros: benefits, paid maternity/paternity leave, work life balance Cons: Leadership is predominately white males, men are often promoted over women, agressive culture that doesn't value assertive women

Lady Whittle

I've worked here for 7 years. There are a lot of women working within my group - the challenge is that the hours are still very intense. You are on all of the time making it difficult to find time for your family.

Maybe. Depending on how much they want to travel and be away from their family.