Sidley Austin LLP

3.2

"Expectations are not clear and it isn't really family friendly at least from staff perspective. Work life balance is tough here as well."
"not sure"
, Marketing
"It depends on your boss but there is no formal flex policies for staff."
Would you recommend Sidley Austin LLP to other women?
"Great leave benefits. Women are encouraged to take entirety of leave and encouraged to reintegrate after returning from leave at their own pace (within reason, of course)."
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
"There is some flexibility in that I can take off in the middle of the day for kid stuff, if needed. However, there is little to no flexibility in the sense of being able to negotiate internal deadlines. So if you have an unexpected issue arise, you will still be expected to meet internal deadlines, whether doing your work from a doctor's office or at home with the baby in one arm. To be clear, if this was a client or court deadline, that's understandable. But an internal deadline that can be pushed? Seems like we can be a little more flexible on that."
Would you recommend Sidley Austin LLP to other women?
"Dress code is very closely followed here so dress extremely business professional"
One thing Sidley Austin LLP can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
"Didnt see much flexibility here"
Would you recommend Sidley Austin LLP to other women?
"The culture is 9 to 5 for the most part, but there can be a certain level of stress/pressure involved in working with lawyers. "
One thing Sidley Austin LLP can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
Would you recommend Sidley Austin LLP to other women?
"The maternity benefits are good, but not great, and are better for lawyers than staff."
"The benefits are about average for non-lawyer employees"
Would you recommend Sidley Austin LLP to other women?
"The overall workplace culture can be stressful"
"I enjoyed my time at this company working amongst lawyers inevitably makes you feel a lot more motivated. However, your attire definitely will make you stick out like a sore thumb if you don't dress business suit or pencil skirt and blouse. However, good work atmosphere."
N/A, Marketing
Would you recommend Sidley Austin LLP to other women?
"It's probably somewhat less hours focused than other big law firms and has a less cut throat environment than some others. Both of which are helpful to women with families. But it is still a big law firm and, in fact, is moving away from it's more gentle approach. However, it may still be a better place for women than its peer firms."
Associate, N/A
Would you recommend Sidley Austin LLP to other women?
"Generally women are treated fairly, but we have to compete against young single men with nothing to do but put endless hours into this job."
Associate, N/A
Would you recommend Sidley Austin LLP to other women?
"It's right for the right women, but requires a lot of self promotion (or luck) to do well and get the kind of work you want (unless you clerked for the Supreme Court)."
"Disorganization is rampant, but the benefits are amazing. My work life balance isn't great as an hourly support staff, but here is what is awesome: * 5 weeks paid time off for all staff (and you accrue more as your tenure increases) * great health insurance - PPO in Illinois covers 90% of our IVF treatments The actual work is tough because while the lawyers will support your department with money, the leadership is a bit lacking and so things are very disjointed. I couldn't recommend this firm right now because I lose a lot of sleep from unnecessary work stress, but I do hope it could improve. For now I'm sticking around to try to have a baby. I hope to one day know what the maternity coverage is like (I have heard for hourly staff it's 2 months paid plus whatever PTO you want to tack onto the end--not too shabby--but I cannot confirm). Bonuses are low and so are raises (got under 3% last year after multiple lawyers reached out to the CMO to commend my work). Only been here a year, so not sure about how fast or slow they are to promote."
Business Development Coordinator, Marketing
Would you recommend Sidley Austin LLP to other women?
"There are great benefits here, it's what is currently keeping me, but the department is incredibly unorganized."
"If you want to work a reduced hours schedule, that is available to you when you return from maternity leave, and most mothers take advantage. It is also common to take more than 18 weeks, but the rest of the leave is unpaid."
Associate, Litigation