Staples, Inc.

2.9

FamilyOf3

Inventory Specialist/ Operations Supervisor

Retail

Can work your way up to management, but be prepared to work extra tasks than male management. I gave more than enough notice before maternity leave, ended up training new hired replacements the last month. Upper management did not prepare transition well, as I did have a deadline.

Able to work and pick up extra hours, unable to drop down in hours even with new availability.

First 6 weeks considered short term disability with 1/2 hours paid. I was full time management at the time, worked for 1.5yrs to qualify for extra 6 weeks unpaid. Unsure what part time benefits (if any) would be.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. If you want to be a cashier or copy center, it's great. But If you want to sell or be equal management, good luck.

PIL5Y

Staples is struggling overall, so it's not a place I would seek to work were I not already there. As a current employee, I enjoy the positive energy of the CEO, I appreciate the excellent daycare benefits, and I am benefitting from an in-house career change which may not have been possible at another employer (be it smaller or less open to such transitions).

I think a certain amount of flexibility has become so commonplace that you can't give an employer bonus points for keeping up with the pack and offering the same. That said, I think Staples offers reasonable accommodations and running with the pack. Each department (and sometimes smaller team) operates in a silo and policies - or at least practices - differ a lot from department to department.

The paid leave is made possible through STD insurance. There is a lack of consistency regarding whether a c-section gets you more paid time off than a vaginal birth does.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. Overall, I think Staples means well and is trying to improve equality in the workplace. Unfortunately, the business is struggling and I think some teams operate with equality in mind better than others do. I work on a great team that supports a male-dominated one, and I'm often dissatisfied with the communication and cooperation of my stakeholders, which is often poor enough so as to limit my progress on projects.

This job is physically exhausting and demands a lot of customer interactions.

Champion

unfortunately Not much managment opportunities for women at this company

Lady HRBP1000

HR Manager

HR

Decent company who doesn't understand true equity

Lady Chachi

Operations Manager

Office Supply

Low pay and short hours for part time, and when you are hired you are not in any certain dept you have to learn everything from the get go.

Maybe. We have a new boss and he has made his own attendance policy, because staples did not have much of one to being with, so he made his own, and also he seems to try to stay away from the women, because he does not want to hear what they have to say.

Lady giggles53

I've been with this company almost a year and, I find it to be the "GOOD OLE BOYS CLUB". We have an Operations Manager that CANNOT DO THE JOB and yet he continues to keep this position. Our Assistant Store Manager cannot seem to move up in the company even though she is an EXCELLENT LEADER, I feel that she has not been treated fairly and should have a position as a STORE MANAGER.

Maybe. The hiring process is a Nightmare. I had to complete the background check 3 times before it came thru. The store is poorly run and needs new and better Management.

Madam mommy

Sr. Manager

Great discounted Bright Horizons childcare center. Like any large companies, flexibility and work life balance is a directly related to your Manager. I was always fortunate to have really great managers. A lot of opportunities to work on different things and Staples is always best in class with most of what they do Marketing related. They are stingy with pay raised for promotions as well as lateral moves.

Lady Traveller

There are a lot of women working here and many in senior positions. There is a great Women in Business group that has networking events and occasional guest speakers.

Lady teintnatural

Associate

I've been here around 4 years, two different stores. I've seen men and women in all departments, and all levels of management. My previous store manager was a woman, and she outshone both male managers I've had here. So good, in fact, that they transferred her to another store that was suffering so she could bring it up to level. Her replacement is abyssmal. He seems to favor the male underlings with regards to who he listens to, but those males also all work in a particular department that requires a lot more managerial support. So I think it's more to do with the position itself rather than the gender of the person in it. If the tech team was headed up by a woman I think she'd get the most managerial support.